UKC

Best triple rated rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Moles 16 Jun 2018

I'm looking at buying a new triple-rated rope to replace a tired Beal Joker. Its main purpose will be multi-pitch/alpine sport and trad, with probably roughly equal amounts of use as a half and as a single.

I really liked the handling and versatility of the Joker but have not been particularly impressed with its durability - it became soft and fluffy, and sheds a lot of fibres from the sheath, sooner than I would have hoped. I did subject it to fairly rigorous abuse climbing in very sandy places though, so it could be I'm expecting too much.

I've had some use of a couple of DMM Crux and not been impressed at all - the sheath seems far too  easily prone to scuffing.

I'm tempted to go super light with a Mammut Serenity or even Beal Opera, though I'm not sure if 8.5-8.7mm is actually a bit too skinny, in terms of durability, belayer holding short falls when in use as a single, potential compatibility with a Grigri...and just reassurance in scary places!

So I'm looking for any opinions really, on the relative merits of what's on offer out there.

Thanks.

Post edited at 14:13
 Jim 1003 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I've got the Mammut Serenity, 8.7, 70m, which I use for sport and winter climbing. It's a great handling rope, but expensive....not sure it is much better than the Decathlon equivalent,  which is slightly thicker but less than half the price. The Serenity is  1 kg lighter on 70m, my GF is very small and struggles with a heavy sack, so it was worth it for her.

To be honest, I prefer twin ropes for Trad, but it's great for sport and winter. Obviously specs at Decathlon may have changed now...

tehmarks 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I have the Edelweiss rope linked to above, and have nothing bad to say about it. Soft, handles well, etc. It's survived a few years of abuse on grit and in the Alps with no noticeable wear or deterioration. The dry treatment has worn away, but I wouldn't expect any different.

I'd very happily replace it with another.

Scott K 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

We have a sterling nano which has been great. 

d_b 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I have a mammut serenity 8.7 which has been good so far.  Its first alpine trip is due in august so i can't give a real verdict yet.

It was expensive enough that I am almost afraid to use it.  The temptation to make do with a half rope is strong.

Post edited at 11:52
 MischaHY 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I've just got my hands on an 80m Edelrid Canary Pro Dry 8.6 - thus far it seems excellent and handles much better than I expected in various belay devices. The sheath is 45% and has a very sturdy feel to it, unlike the 9mm Beal I have which felt soft right from the start and rubs easily. Weight wise it's stunning and drag is minimal. Pricey though! 

Post edited at 16:55
 slab_happy 20 Jun 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thirding the Edelweiss for durability and feeling reassuring.

Fraser 20 Jun 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

I've had the Decathlon 8.9mm diam. one for almost 2 years now and it's the best rope I've had in 20+ years climbing.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/edge-89-mm-x-100-m-id_8360082.html

I got the 100m version as it was so cheap (£119 when I got mine) I could afford to chop it several times. So far however, despite lots of use domestically and on trips, plenty of falls and working / dogging sessions, I've not yet needed to chop it once. I know some reviews suggest their ropes have worn badly, so I might just have been very lucky, but for me, it's performed superbly.

I also really like the way it handles, for both belaying and clipping. I also have a Beal Joker which has worn very badly and which I find too soft to clip the way I like. The Simond is perfect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...