UKC

Aspiring To Climb In The Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PhilR85 16 Jun 2018

Hi I suppose I’m an unusual person in that I am in love with the mountains but pretty fearful of heights. I’m fine on a mountain but not great with exposure.

Im pretty good with navigation and have climbed most peaks and ridges in Snowdonia and The Lake District.

Id like to expand that into the Alps. I love the Alps and want to conquer some peaks. 

So my question is: Are there any good peaks to aim for which aren’t too exposed and what skill sets will I need to acquire in order to achieve it. I just don’t know what I need to know or where to gain the skills to take the next step. So far I’ve never used an ice axe or ropes outdoors..

Any advice greatly appreciated.

mrbird 16 Jun 2018
In reply to PhilR85:

Do them blindfolded.

hokkyokusei 16 Jun 2018
In reply to PhilR85:

Walking in crampons, ice axe arrest, moving together over various terrain, crevasse rescue and getting up very early in the morning

Doug 16 Jun 2018
In reply to PhilR85:

Plenty of places in the Alps (& Pyrenees) where you can walk rather than climb, including many summits.

Rog Wilko 16 Jun 2018
In reply to PhilR85:

> .....and want to conquer some peaks. 

This makes my heart sink.

Post edited at 22:20
 John Kelly 16 Jun 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It's a journey

machine 20 Jun 2018
In reply to PhilR85:

Try scrambling and Scottish winter first before even thinking about the Alps. You need to get used to using an axe or axes and be pretty slick with basic rope work. Advertise for a climbing partner or hire a guide to take you on grade I,s and II,s. Once you are confident with the basics you will need to learn about glacier travel and crevasse rescue as if you fall down a slot you will never be seen again. I would also consider learning about acclimatisation as if you don't acclimatise properly you will suffer. There are loads of easier peaks in the Alps. Try Grand Paradiso as your first 4000er. I would recommend you purchase a good instructional book like Climbing and Mountaineering by Pete Hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...