UKC

Knee bar pad - send wizard sleeve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyman666999 17 Jun 2018

Hunting for a knee bar pad as have several projects with uncomfortable knee bars which are making a mess of my knees. 

I’ve come across several versions. Send ones look great but at £70 are too expensive for me to justify, 5.10 looks about right but it’s sold out/discontinued. 

Send also makes a non adjustable wizard sleeve which is pretty cheap  see bananfingers (link not allowed)

i can’t find any reviews of this anywhere - does anyone have any experience with this?? Any good ??

cheers

remus Global Crag Moderator 17 Jun 2018
In reply to andyman666999:

Depending on exactly how uncomfortable these kneebars are it might be worth saving your pennies and getting one of the send pads. Looking at the wizards sleeve (ooh er) it seems pretty thin, and likewise the 5.10 pads are also pretty thin. Good for making marginal knees more solid but not so good for abusing knees that'd otherwise be too painful.

Any pad is going to feel great compared to no pad though, so if it comes to it a second hand 5.10 pad or a wizards sleeve is going to help. Worth checking the fit on the 5.10 pad if you can as they don't fit everyone. Havent tried a wizards sleeve on but I assume it's less of a problem given the range of sizes available.

wilkie14c 17 Jun 2018

i’ve never paid for a wizards sleeve

OP andyman666999 17 Jun 2018
In reply to remus:

The kneebars aren’t too painful - but repeating them over and over isn’t great even with jeans on  

thanks for the advice - they’re like gold dust as it seems except bananfingers that not many places really stock them  

patsaunders 17 Jun 2018

They are discounted here at the moment https://darkventures.co.uk/shop?olsPage=t%2Fknee-pad 

OP andyman666999 17 Jun 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

Good find thanks !

ben b 17 Jun 2018
In reply to wilkie14c:

Such innocence in a ukc thread... where’s birdie num num when you need him eh? 

B

deacondeacon 17 Jun 2018

Wizards sleeve is such a bad name for a knee pad. Literally saying that it's too baggy for purpose! 

Bulls Crack 17 Jun 2018

> Hunting for a knee bar pad as have several projects with uncomfortable knee bars which are making a mess of my knees. 

Oh for the days of Whymper, Edwards, Kirkus and Whillans....

Mark Kemball 18 Jun 2018

What about using knee supports, available fom boots eg https://www.boots.com/neo-g-closed-knee-support-10205172 ?

Paz 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Can you get those resoled in stealth rubber?

Matt Vigg 18 Jun 2018

Find yourself an old thick wetsuit and cut out a section of the leg, works great. Depending on the size of the wetsuit you can cut higher or lower up the leg to make the right fit. I have also used a nappy as an emergency knee bar pad but they’re not so hard wearing and probably not great for your street cred.

OP andyman666999 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I tried with a knee support but it wasn’t neoprene. It definitely helped - checked in boots but they were about £18 and this sleeve thing is only a few quid more. Maybe I should just take a punt - maybe able to modify it anyway. 

In reply to Bulls Crack:

It takes two years to learn to speak and sixty to learn to keep quiet – Ernest Hemingway

give it 6 years maybe you’ll learn ?

Post edited at 09:41
 ashtond6 18 Jun 2018

I bought one and think it's better than the 5.10 

In reply to ashtond6:

Great - does it move around a lot/require loads of tape?? Think it could be a good option. 

krikoman 18 Jun 2018

Knee pads, clip sticks and chalk

The three components of the apocalypse

Have you thought of one of these? https://www.schutzhund-training-store.com/training-equipment-c-43/durable-p...

Post edited at 11:37
 Bulls Crack 18 Jun 2018

4 now and nope

tommccluskey 18 Jun 2018

Hi Andy, 

I have a 5.10 one I have been considering selling. It's about a year old and been used a bit but still in good condition. If you are interested send me a message and I can send over pictures etc.

Cheers, 

Tom

In reply to tommccluskey:

Hi Tom. Yes I would be interested. I’ll PM you. 

Post edited at 15:33
 ashtond6 18 Jun 2018

No tape for me, feels much better than 5.10. I bought it small

stp 19 Jun 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

> They are discounted here at the moment https://darkventures.co.uk/shop?olsPage=t%2Fknee-pad 

That could be a dodgy site. They say they are based in Sheffield. I live in Sheffield and I've never heard of them.

There's no names or an address connected to the site and little info from a whois search either. Presumably the registrant's name/s have been hidden. The only contact details are a web form and a mobile number - so very easy to anonymize. I checked on TrustPilot too and there's no info, either good or bad, there either.

They could be legit but personally I think buying from a site like that is definitely a gamble.

Banana Fingers also have the Wizard Sleeve and it's only £1.50 more. The other pads do save you more, but... perhaps a case of too good to be true ?

ericinbristol 19 Jun 2018
In reply to stp:

Interesting. However, at least it is a legally registered company with up to date filing with Companies House: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09059397 with a named director and address in Sheffield. Anyway, my wife has just ordered a knee pad from them as a present for me, so I will post here on what happens.

stp 19 Jun 2018
In reply to ericinbristol:

Well spotted. That does look more encouraging. Where they're based, Killamarsh, is actually about 10 miles from Sheffield City Centre so it's less surprising I haven't heard of them.

I'm surprised small companies don't make more effort to be open about who they are when they're obviously competing with big, well used and reputable brands.

There was another company selling fingerboards at a really good price some time ago. I was thinking of getting one but again no solid info about who they were so I decided not to bother. Looking at a seller's ratings is a crucial part of why Ebay works.

Good luck with the kneepad. Which sort did you go for, or is it a surprise?

remus Global Crag Moderator 19 Jun 2018
In reply to stp:

The chap who runs it is called Pat Saunders. He started importing and selling send pads after a big thread on Facebook about it. Rob Greenwood might have a few more details, as he started off the adoaforementio FB thread by offering to pick up a few pads for people a few months ago. I'm 99% sure it's legit.

climber34neil 19 Jun 2018
In reply to remus:

It's totally legit and trustworthy, pat is often at the works at lunchtimes and im sure will be more than happy to answer any questions etc.

patsaunders 19 Jun 2018
In reply to stp:

I am a small business based in Sheffield, I have added a few more details to the website. My contact details are on the website if anyone wants to contact me and I try to respond asap. I am slowly building the business trying to bring great products into the UK at a reasonable cost. 

patsaunders 19 Jun 2018

many thanks for the order from your wife, I shipped it out this morning. 

stp 19 Jun 2018
In reply to patsaunders:

Good job and thanks for replying. I'm naturally suspicious of stuff on the web I'm afraid. I'm happy to buy kneepad off you now though. Just can't decide which one.

In reply to patsaunders:

Awesome! Good luck with the business!

In reply to stp:

I went for the Send Large Classic. My reasoning was that it covers more of the thigh and so I will get more coverage for potential use. And I went for the classic rather than the thin because some knee bars are pretty sharp. When I get it and try it I will post some comments but it won't be for a while as I am about to go away for work for a couple of weeks.

patsaunders 20 Jun 2018
In reply to stp:

If you would like to see them or try them on, let me know and we can arrange something.

Ally Smith 20 Jun 2018

> I went for the Send Large Classic. My reasoning was that it covers more of the thigh and so I will get more coverage for potential use. And I went for the classic rather than the thin because some knee bars are pretty sharp. When I get it and try it I will post some comments but it won't be for a while as I am about to go away for work for a couple of weeks.

I've got 2 Send Large Classic kneepads - I think they're the absolute dogs whatsits!

The Send pad is so much better than the old/discontinued 5.10 pad - my main gripe with that pad was that to stop it moving, you had to cinch it up so tight you could neither fully straighten or bend your leg!

With the Send pad, no such trouble - 3 straps, comfy neoprene lining (slightly sweaty on superlong euro stamina pitches, not an issue in the UK) an rubber that's thick enough even nasty sharp/angled UK limestone doesn't bite; no more unsightly bruises to explain to the missus!

I also have 2 Rock n Resole pads - these are brilliant for long Euro on-sighting - you can barely tell they're there until you need them. Being low profile, they're also good when a kneebar slot is right on the extreme of your leg length - however, being a pain in the arse to import from Colorado, the new Send sleeves would be my go to option for replacement.

ericinbristol 21 Jun 2018
In reply to stp and patsaunders:

My Send Large Classic kneepad arrived from Dark Ventures this morning. It is a superb bit of kit, and Dark Ventures have been exemplary - very quick, great price. Thanks patsaunders! I will spread the word.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...