UKC

The elderly should be compelled to wear helmets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brown 18 Jun 2018

Having recently seen an elderly person wearing a helmet it struck me how irresponsible many old people were in not wearing helmets.

Public health England publishes figures showing that there are 255,000 falls a year by the over 65 resulting in hospital admissions. Many of these due to head injuries. This all cost the country 4.4 billion a year!

Looking at SAGA magazine its apparent that they are pushing a dangerous no helmet message with their photos showing people out there, risking it all. Maybe they should fall in line with more responsible publications in only publishing photos of people in helmets.

In reply to Brown:

And school kids. Won't somebody please think of the children! 

summo 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Brown:

Best have them in day glo vests too. 

krikoman 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Brown:

What about our cats and dogs, are they above the law?

Stichtplate 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Brown:

I disagree, far too many of the baby booming blighters about as it is, clogging up roads and doctors surgeries, keeping the Mail in print and making incomprehensible electoral choices (Chope???).

Far better to insist on a program of compulsory cave diving, BASE jumping and motorbike riding for all over 60s. The benefits for the UK would be huge. Just for starters there'd be a handy inheritance cash boost for us overstretched Xers and the Z's can finally move out of the parental home and stop whinging.

Trangia 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Far better to insist on a program of compulsory cave diving, BASE jumping and motorbike riding for all over 60s.

That's too harsh and selective - I'd be inclined to make the qualifying age 48 or thereabouts.....

Stichtplate 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> That's too harsh and selective - I'd be inclined to make the qualifying age 48 or thereabouts.....

OOF!.....(splutters into his pint in indignation).

wintertree 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Brown:

Drunks as well (speaking from personal experience).

krikoman 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Brown:

Would there be any need for a "geriatric helmet inspector" ?

In reply to krikoman:

> Would there be any need for a "geriatric helmet inspector" ?

Fnar fnar!

wercat 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Brown:

Helmets are only the start.  I'd like to see a system of social fines levied on people over 50 who become nuisances generally,  being overly chatty at crags, turning up solo to disturb roped parties in wild scrambling zones like Sgurr Nan Gillean  (which is SPECIFICALLY FOR YOUNG PEOPLE ANYWAY!!!!, old farts keep orff my land!) and always showing off how much they've dun in the past.  Riskin it at there time of life they've just started to loose it all

FactorXXX 18 Jun 2018
 john arran 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> Far better to insist on a program of compulsory cave diving, BASE jumping and motorbike riding for all over 60s.

> That's too harsh and selective - I'd be inclined to make the qualifying age 48 or thereabouts...

If it's state funded, bring it on!

aln 18 Jun 2018
In reply to wercat:

>  Riskin it at there time of life they've just started to loose it all

I'm over 50 and at least I haven't started to 'loose' my grip on vocabulary.... ha ha loser!

Post edited at 21:42
 krikoman 18 Jun 2018
In reply to aln:

> >  Riskin it at there time of life they've just started to loose it all

> I'm over 50 and at least I haven't started to 'loose' my grip on vocabulary.... ha ha loser!

When did you last have a helmet inspection?

aln 18 Jun 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Yesterday 

wercat 19 Jun 2018
In reply to aln:

> >  Riskin it at there time of life they've just started to loose it all

> I'm over 50 and at least I haven't started to 'loose' my grip on vocabulary.... ha ha loser!

youth, yore 2 yung 2 undastand!

Post edited at 08:49
cb294 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> That's too harsh and selective - I'd be inclined to make the qualifying age 48 or thereabouts.....

Yes, sign me up, I qualify!!!!

CB

subtle 19 Jun 2018
In reply to krikoman:

> What about our cats and dogs, are they above the law?

No, they are all to be eaten.

Nic 19 Jun 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...