UKC

Triple Tryfan Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Brandon lark 19 Jun 2018

Hi all

I was thinking of doing a challenge in North Wales called the triple Tryfan. Just wondering if anybody heard of anyone doing it before? Is it doable?

thanks 

JamButty 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Brandon lark:

Never heard of it. Does it exist or have you thought it up? Is it up and down just three different ways?

David Coley 19 Jun 2018

gashed crag, pinnacle rib and grooved arete would make a very fine triple

Simon Caldwell 19 Jun 2018
In reply to David Coley:

The difficulty would be on finding the routes without queues! 

d_b 19 Jun 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Just practice climbing over people in your best antisocial continental guide style.

Brandon lark 20 Jun 2018
In reply to JamButty: no I didn't think it's a we'll known challenge. Just something I made up I think 

Climbo K 20 Jun 2018

So are you thinking up and down x3 in one sitting? Sounds fun! What's your time frame??

spenser 20 Jun 2018
In reply to David Coley:

I did this Friday before last with a guy doing a round of Classic Rock by Bike:

https://classicrockbybike.com/

It was nice to move over rock that quickly!

Steve Clegg 20 Jun 2018

Pinnacle Rib, Gashed Crag and Grooved Arete are half of the Steve Broadbent’s “Big Six”.

http://www.oxfordalpineclub.co.uk/shop.php#!/The-Big-Six-North-Wales-Classi...

Good luck

Steve

Brandon lark 20 Jun 2018
In reply to silas keeling:

Yea up and down three times top out and then back to the lay-bys at the bottom and back up. I'm thinking all under 10 hours I think that's doable. What do others think? 

> What do others think? 

I think you're a masochist.

Brandon lark 20 Jun 2018
In reply to spenser:

Nice how how long did it take you? Hard? Bet it hurt the arms after three times. 

spenser 20 Jun 2018

It took us about 11.5 hours Layby to Layby, Oli is way fitter than me though, we pitched all of the routes and I ended up having to retreat from Thomson's Chimney as my rucksack was either getting jammed or forcing me out of the chimney to far so it's definitely possible to do it quicker. Legs hurt more than arms, we followed it up with Great Gully on Craig Yr Ysfa the next day and then I did Hope the day after that, felt a bit broken!

Frankly the idea of doing it Layby to layby 3 times in a day sounds daft, a similarly daft but in my view a more enjoyable option on Snowdon would be to walk up the Rhydd Ddu path, down the Ranger, up the Llanberis, down Crib Goch, up Lliwedd, down Watkin/ South Ridge, you would not need to retread the same ground very often to do this and I think it would leave you suitably knackered!

Post edited at 12:38
 Mark Stevenson 20 Jun 2018
In reply to David Coley:

> gashed crag, pinnacle rib and grooved arete would make a very fine triple

It also makes an utterly crazy half dozen when combined with three routes on Lliwedd beforehand!

I was mightily impressed when Steve and Lina did this in a day, a few weeks ago (as linked to above on the OAC website).

Post edited at 14:04
 pec 20 Jun 2018

> Yea up and down three times top out and then back to the lay-bys at the bottom and back up. I'm thinking all under 10 hours I think that's doable. What do others think? 

I think it sounds contrived and pointless. What do hope to achieve from this that walking up three different mountains wouldn't achieve?

Sorry but you did ask!

In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Hehe, just spotted this thread... and some familiar names popping up!

The 'Big Six' is still my favourite day out in North Wales, but it's rare to find all the routes in good condition whilst not too busy... and you need some luck getting parked!

For those looking for a challenge, it's as follows: Start at Pen-y-Pass car park, up to Lliwedd and climb Slanting Buttress; Avalanche, Red Wall & Longlands; Horned Crag Route, then back to the car. Drive round to Tryfan then up to Heather Shelf for Gashed Crag, Pinnacle Rib (either), and Grooved Arete. The clock stops when you get back to your car!

Three successful goes so far... 15 hours a few years ago, then 13:30 in 2016, 14:37 this year (Lliwedd was pretty greasy so we were slower than hoped). Great fun to move quickly on dry North Wales rock

kaiser 20 Jun 2018

>  ...Avalanche, Red Wall & Longlands...  <

that took me 10 hours 

Post edited at 20:54
pasbury 20 Jun 2018

> Yea up and down three times top out and then back to the lay-bys at the bottom and back up. I'm thinking all under 10 hours I think that's doable. What do others think? 

That does sound like taking a fun concept and then spoiling it with arbitrary un- fun bits. But each to their own.

profitofdoom 21 Jun 2018
In reply to pec:

> I think it sounds contrived and pointless. What do hope to achieve from this that walking up three different mountains wouldn't achieve?

> Sorry but you did ask!

I guess Brandon sees it as a challenge he wants to try, nothing wrong with that IMO. It is just that you and me would find Ogwen Cottage -> Cwm Idwal -> Devil's Kitchen -> Glyders -> Tryfan a far, far more satisfying use of a day!

pec 21 Jun 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

À Chacun Son Goût I suppose, but he did ask what we thought.

profitofdoom 21 Jun 2018
In reply to pec:

> À Chacun Son Goût I suppose, but he did ask what we thought.

I had to look the French phrase up! Yes, he did [ask]. IMO Tryfan once in a day = a great day. Twice in a day = not great at all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...