UKC

Climbing+kayaking in the uk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikaelW 23 Jun 2018

Hello,

So I’m looking for ideas of UK adventures that mix climbing and canoeing/kayaking.

I have access to one of those inflatable kayak that can be carried as a 15kg bag.

http://www.gumotexboats.com/inflatable-kayaks

youtube.com/watch?v=45jfilctPlw&

So, what i would like to do is go on 2-day trip in the countryside where we could just go down the river, camp near it and stop at nearby small crag(s) for a bit of impromptu climbing.

Is there such river in the uk? Mostly calm water with a bit of easy “rapids” and some crags on the banks at one or two points with some climbing for people climbing at/below f6c/hvs5a

One difficulty is that I’m not allowed to drive so looking for something that can be done using public transport and no or minimal car use, maybe one uber if there is really no other options.

Mmm, I understand that’s quite a specific request! Anyway, thanks for the help in advance!

Mikael  

flour 23 Jun 2018
In reply to MikaelW:

River Wye,

Symonds Yat 

Shorncliffe

Wyncliffe

Wintours

d_b 23 Jun 2018
In reply to MikaelW:

I have had my eye on a canoe approach to Beinn Lair across Loch Maree for several years.  Never quite managed to get around to it though.

In a similar vein there is a "wet" approach to Suilven.

marsbar 23 Jun 2018
In reply to MikaelW:

The area around Matlock in Derbyshire may be possible, I’m not sure of the details as it’s many years since I did the trip, there is a train line along the same valley as the river, and we stealth camped very late and left very early.  There is climbing in the area but I can’t remember how near the river.  You may want to check with a local about the current situation with fishermen and there are weirs to be aware of,  some can be shot and others not.  UKRGB maybe a good forum.  

I know it’s not in your request, but the Dordogne in France is also suitable for such a trip.  

OP MikaelW 25 Jun 2018
In reply to MikaelW:

Thanks!

Will check it out. those and UKRGB forum. 

WaterMonkey 25 Jun 2018
In reply to MikaelW:

River Avon and Avon Gorge. Launch from Portishead sea lock for an exciting paddle up the Severn then into Avon. Climb at the gorge and then maybe camp there or paddle up further to Bristol.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...