UKC

Family Top Rope Routes in West Cornwall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
L Fraser 25 Jun 2018

Our  family will be staying near Marazion for 2 weeks in July. We climb regularly indoors in Scotland, and have just started outdoor climbing. Can anyone recommend routes in the West of Cornwall suitable for children (eldest aged 9 year, youngest 5 years) where we can access the top and easily set up a top rope? Thanks. 

Benh 25 Jun 2018
In reply to L Fraser:

The lizard has a few easy top rope set ups mainly around the housel bay/pen Oliver area lots of the stacks on the cliffs are easy set ups perfect for beginners and kids hope this helps

Post edited at 12:50
 mbh 25 Jun 2018
In reply to L Fraser:

Not in the west of Cornwall, but if you are driving down/back you will pass it, about 15 min from the A30: Hawk's Tor on Bodmin Moor. It is less than a mile's walk from the end of the road, has short easy climbs and a walk off. I used to go there with our kids when they were young. 

Further west, we also had a great morning of scrambling along the base of the Porthguarnon crag at low tide, then up and out, with six kids aged 9-15. There's a Diff there too 'Kelly's Eye' that I think I led then brought them all up.

Bosigran is great. Just scrambling in, along and out would be exciting for your children. The first actual routes you get to are top rope-able. I did Alison's Rib (D) with the kids.

Further east, there's also Roche Rock where there is (from memory of long ago) an easy slab from which I could not persuade my daughter to let go and trust the rope.

You could also have a lot of fun with your children at Gwithian beach, at the eastern end near the lighthouse. It is a bouldering venue with exciting (for children) canyons and short problems they could try, plus rock pools and sand if the climbing palls.

Post edited at 13:23
 Greasy Prusiks 25 Jun 2018
In reply to L Fraser:

Halldrine would be my choice. Easy routes and sea cliff atmosphere but with relatively easy access. 

AndySL 25 Jun 2018
In reply to L Fraser:

You could consider Trewavas Head. Again reasonable access and good exposure but high from the sea.

Skip 25 Jun 2018
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

> Halldrine would be my choice.

Agree.

Halldrine Cove

Offwidth 25 Jun 2018
In reply to Skip:

+1

Mark Kemball 25 Jun 2018
In reply to L Fraser:

Trewavas is definately your best bet and conveniently close to Marazion, full details in volume 2 of the West Cornwall guide https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/shop/books/south-west/west-cornwall/ .

L Fraser 28 Jun 2018
In reply to mbh:

Great! Lots to have a try at there. I think the kids will really enjoy the scrambling  and bouldering too. Thank you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...