UKC

Gritstone offwidth problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam B 25 Jun 2018

Anyone know of any good offwidth bouldering problems in the UK, ideally on Eastern grit? Been looking around for a list, but I can't seem to find any.

Recommendations and suggestions welcome. Ideally we're looking for problems that can lay waste to clothing and skin alike, but I'll settle for anything I can practice a stacked jam on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Luke90 25 Jun 2018

In reply to Flavio:

Is that the roof crack Pete Whittaker makes Shauna Coxsey do in this video? https://youtu.be/vvmi62dtgsM?t=7m46s
Looks horrendous!

To the OP, you might find some inspiration on the original Wideboyz film. I seem to remember some footage of them practising on one or two UK boulders before heading to the States.

mrphilipoldham 25 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

You're going to have to head west, 'unfortunately'. I love a good boulder crack!

Seconds Out (f5)

Twisted Crack (f6A+)

Off Work (f5+)

Crocodile Slot (f6A)

Right Slot (f5)

The Rammer (f4+)

Practice Chimney (f3)

Prehistoric Offwidth (f4)

...I'll try and remember a few others I've mentally blocked out!

Post edited at 19:04
 mrphilipoldham 25 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Squirmer's Chimney (S 4a)

It's a trad route but it's a solo/boulderable as you'd have to try really hard to fall out. 

JimboWizbo 25 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Goliath (E4 6a)

If Ned can high ball Samson then this should also be a goer 

admackie 25 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

boffwidth at rivelin

Paz 26 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

There was once a brilliant article about Adrian Berry ticking off a lot of off width test pieces on planetfear.  Try archive.org.

If you're set on getting good at off widths, that's totally awesome!  Go ahead and top rope right eliminate, goliath and giggling crack.  It's not like there's going to be a queue.

Post edited at 00:23
 Baron Weasel 26 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

There's a couple on the Johnny Dawes video 'Best Forgotten Art' if you can get hold of a copy... I'd find mine except it's already in a box ahead of moving house.

OP Sam B 26 Jun 2018

Thanks very much for your help, folks - that should keep me out of trouble for a while

Reach>Talent 26 Jun 2018
In reply to BlueTotem:

Try having a search for Tom Randall's posts on the subject, he is probably to blame for a lot of the horror shows

There are a few at Stanage, I think tucked near the Cowper Stone. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...