UKC

Warm enough for DWS?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamie_bkc 27 Jun 2018

I see Dorset has been seeing some DWS ascents in the recent heat, can anyone report what the water temp is like at the moment? I live over in Bristol so reluctant to truck down with a group if it's going to be too cold/risky for those that feel it more.

Post edited at 12:49
In reply to jamie_bkc:

No idea on actual temp but I was happily swimming/snorkeling in the sea in Torbay yesterday in shorts and vest as were about 100 other people along Meadfoot beach

In reply to jamie_bkc:

From previous experience I can say with some degree of certainty that if the air temperature is as warm as it is now the sea will be just fine (and most likely a welcome relief). This will be even more noticeable in Dorset where the white nature of the cliffs tends to amplify the effect of the heat. Only thing to look out for would be condensation + grease. 

Misha 27 Jun 2018
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

And giant climber-eating jellyfish. Some monsters floating around Gogarth last week.

AJM 27 Jun 2018
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Was great conditions yesterday evening. Seas fine, bit chilly by about 8pm once the sun left the beach at Lulworth but mint conditions and no grease.

In reply to jamie_bkc:

I was swimming in Pembrokeshire on Monday and the water felt cold (take your breath away cold) getting in, but was ok after you got used to it. I think the water can feel colder when the air and your skin temperature is so warm.

Cold water shock is a real thing that can kill. If not confident then can be worth going for a dip to aclimatise your body before you start your dws and risk the sudden shock of an unexpected entry into the cold water. 

Might be an unlikely occurance now the sea is warming up, but with a potentially very serious outcome it is worth being aware of it.

I'm planning on going dws this evening but my approach to this (much like my approach to trad climbing) rarely involves falling off.

Toerag 27 Jun 2018
In reply to jamie_bkc:

It's 16 degrees here, which is slightly higher than usual.  Depending on water depth and tidal currents it'll be a degree either side of that in Devon/Dorset  You'll find it cold when you fall in, but it's OK once you're over the initial shock. Personally I start swimming in the sea at the end of July.

Post edited at 13:49
 Chris Ebbutt 28 Jun 2018
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Long Quarry Point

Sea was great tonight, bit of a swell but no problem with temperature and that was climbing till dark. Torquay side (london Brigde, Watchtower, 5 star) will be even warmer in the sun tomorrow night with a nice spring high as well.

Have fun

Chris

Dave B 28 Jun 2018
In reply to jamie_bkc:

Use the sea water view on windy.com

It says its around 16 around most of the coast, and it generally is a little warmer in the shallows. Occasionally a cold area is found where water from deeper moves up

I'm happily swimming in trunks at the moment and not getting any cold water shock symptoms, but your body may be different, so try it out and if you fall in  float on your back until the gasping reflex dies down. Usually about 30-90 seconds . 

OP jamie_bkc 28 Jun 2018

Brill, thanks for the responses everyone!

Sean Kelly 28 Jun 2018
In reply to jamie_bkc:

It was really warm in the sea at Bigbury(South Devon) today. Delicious!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...