UKC

Does the brand of chalk make any difference?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 27 Jun 2018

Finally got through the 4 big bags of WC loose chalk that I bought about 5 years ago and need to get some more.

I was just wondering does the brand of chalk actually make any difference? There seems to be all these fancy brands about these days (e.g. friction labs) but I find it hard to belive they are anything more than a marketing gimmick.

Is there any noticeable difference between the mainstream brands (e.g. DMM, WC, metolious etc) or should I just go for whatever I can find cheapest?

Cheers

Lee

Niblet 27 Jun 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

I've tried Mammut, Metolius and now a big bag of Camp chalk and I'll be going back to Mammut for sure, didn't like the others, not as absorbing. Might be placebo though, who knows.

There is definitely a big difference depending on what brand chalk you use.

Sl@te Head 28 Jun 2018

A few years ago I experimented with my own formula / mix. I had intended to approach some of the 'climbing chalk companies' to see if they were interested in taking on my idea but never got round to it, so my secret formula will have to remain a secret....

There's an actual difference between liquid chalk and the others.  

There's a potential for a good placebo boost if you can make yourself believe in one of the expensive 'magic' chalks.  Use the 'special sending chalk' as part of the ritual to prepare for a competition or a project.

Jon Greengrass 28 Jun 2018

makes no difference, its all in your mind, try using no chalk.

Wild Isle 28 Jun 2018

It doesn't exactly answer your question but there was an interesting article about chalk in a recent edition of Climbing magazine.  https://www.climbing.com/gear/the-hidden-environmental-cost-of-climbing-cha...

Post edited at 15:41
 koolkat 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Using no chalk ???? would you still take a chalk bag and dip but with no chalk in it ????

knighty 28 Jun 2018
In reply to koolkat:

> Using no chalk ???? would you still take a chalk bag and dip but with no chalk in it ????

He obviously means use pof instead. It's much better than chalk!

UKB Shark 28 Jun 2018

Friction labs chalk has slightly better performance and is worth paying the extra if expense is no object or you value marginal gains.  

FreshSlate 29 Jun 2018

I don't know about specific brands of chalk. I think the more expensive ones have generally spent more on marketing but I couldn't say for sure. There's no real objective test I'm aware of.

For those who doubt the enchanced friction from applying chalk, try pulling some hairs out or play a stringed instrument, then apply chalk. The difference in grip is immense (though that's not always a good thing). That's not to say that you should plaster holds an inch deep because you're eventually losing contact with the rock and you make the whole exercise of applying chalk pointless.

Post edited at 00:28
 deepsoup 29 Jun 2018

Chalk use has a powerful placebo effect, you'd have to conduct a double blind trial to find out if the expensive stuff is "really" better. 

(I put "really" in inverted commas because the placebo effect is a real effect - people also find expensive, heavily marketed over the counter painkillers more effective than their generic equivalents.  Just because it isn't "real" doesn't mean it isn't real.)

GridNorth 29 Jun 2018

Some of the brands have added chemicals to inhibit moisture and these tend to have an adverse affect on my skin so I would say the brand definitely makes a difference in that regard but not so sure about the friction properties.

Al

GarethSL 29 Jun 2018

To me chalk is chalk but I did find that Metolius' super chalk always seemed to end up quite clumpy in the chalk bag and lost all of its 'airy' powder feel, which then felt like it didn't coat fingers or dry as well as it should. 

1poundSOCKS 29 Jun 2018

> try using no chalk.

I have a few times. Noticeable difference.

Jon Greengrass 29 Jun 2018
In reply to koolkat:

No chalk bag, just an old tea towel to clean my boots and dry my hands.

Jon Greengrass 29 Jun 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

that'll be the placebo effect.

Toerag 29 Jun 2018

If your skin can take it I think the best approach is to use liquid chalk at the start of the session then top up with normal chalk as necessary.  I think a lot of chalking up is done when your palm or finger webs feel sweaty even though the bit of fingers you use to hold the rock are dry. Liquid chalk stops this sweaty feeling.

1poundSOCKS 29 Jun 2018

> that'll be the placebo effect.

It's called the sweaty hands effect. Or the slightly damp lichen gritstone effect.

Anyway, even if I accept it is placebo for argument, isn't placebo proven to have an effect?

mantelself 29 Jun 2018
In reply to knighty:

> He obviously means use pof instead. It's much better than chalk!

I have a colleague that swears by pof for fat slappers.... he doesn't climb, and I am confused.

dareterr 29 Jun 2018

I've tried a few brands but cannot point to any noticeable differences assuming you are using climbing chalk to begin with.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...