UKC

ARTICLE: Neural Network trained on UKC Logbooks - The Results

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Jun 2018
Neural network trained on UKC Logbook route names., 3 kbWe recently shared the work of Janelle Shane, who trained a neural network on a database of route names from Joshua Tree (5,633) and Boulder, Colorado (4,527). The results were both amusing and baffling. We wondered how the generated names might differ if we provided Janelle with our much larger database of 432,000 route names.

Read more
 nick244 28 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Missed a trick with the Cat Bear graphic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binturong

airborne 28 Jun 2018

Right, need to find a new Crag X and get to work now. Love those names. 

Toerag 28 Jun 2018
In reply to airborne:

Agreed, some are actually quite good.

Andy Gamisou 29 Jun 2018

Finally, machine learning finds a proper useful application

DerwentDiluted 29 Jun 2018

They don't look much like route names to me.

But I'll definitely put a fiver on The Cat Bear to win the 14.15 at Uttoxeter.

simoninger 29 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC Articles

Many of these could solve the eternal problem of finding a band name that nobody's used before

RKernan 29 Jun 2018

Pretty sure Charlton Chestwig put all those routes up in the mid 80s.

Janelle says she's been given the idea to teach it route descriptions. A whole new level of fun! Let's see what it comes up with if she does it.

SuperLee1985 29 Jun 2018

Some of these are actually really good, exactly the sort of thing I could imagine coming across in a guidebook.

'Ramp of Lies' in particular evokes images of some desperate slab that promises good holds when viewed from the ground but all the tings that looked like they ought to be holds turned out to be useless sloping nothingness.

'Wine for the Great Free Man' sounds like a classic mountain route.

I liked a couple of the weird ones too: 'You're not Andrew' and 'Captain Purple and the Darkness'

kathrync 29 Jun 2018

Some of these are great! 

Luke90 29 Jun 2018
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Yes, "Ramp of Lies" is a fantastic effort. I'd like to see it used but there's no way I'd climb it! One of those route names that I'd take as a warning.

cb294 29 Jun 2018
In reply to simoninger:

I was also immediately thinking of "names for bands", since the list reminded of this masterpiece:

youtube.com/watch?v=nabFMi6PGQA&

Unfortunately the somewhat briefer original version was pre-youtube, finishing with the same punchline featuring Reagan rather than Bush. 

My favourite from the route list is "Ramp of Lies", this needs to be put up somewhere. 

CB

Sam B 29 Jun 2018

Just in Stanage Pop, it turns out that the five most commonly appearing words in route names are The Crack Wall Buttress Direct, in that order. I'm determined to name a route that now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...