UKC

Motorcycle advice - overtightened oil filter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MrTumnus 28 Jun 2018

Just hoping one of you clever types on here have some words of wisdom for me and hopefully some good news. I changed oil/ filter on my bike recently and like a d*ck I'm reasonably sure I've overtightened the thread on the filter. In my defence I can only say I was not paying as much attention as I should and misread the torque spec in the haynes and as it felt like it slid that I suddenly thought it seemed very high. Filter doesn't leak but I dare not remove it and check until I have to in case it is

Anyone had a similar experience or ideas to solve it if I have? I'm desperately hoping that the stud will be replaceable or the like as the though of having to sort a new block is abhorrent.

Bike is a gsxr 600 btw

Removed User 28 Jun 2018
In reply to MrTumnus:

For peace of mind take it off and re-torque it. If it screws on to a stud that will be a replaceable part.  

Dax H 29 Jun 2018
In reply to MrTumnus:

When you say slid do you mean you think it went loose again because you stripped it? If it still feels tight it's probably okay. Sometimes the filter will start to bind on the rubber gasket ring then jump round a bit with more pressure and it takes a lot of force to strip a thread in a filter, your only supposed to tighten them by hand so unless you were using a mechanical device or have the grip strength of King Kong again your probably all right.

If in doubt though get a new one, remove the old one and have a look. 

knighty 29 Jun 2018
In reply to MrTumnus:

Because you've already put the oil in, I'd say just leave it and keep an eye (a close eye) on the filter to make sure it's not leaking.

Leave the sorting out of any problems till you have to (and not perfect riding weather). I'd like to think that the Japanese engineers will have designed the stud to be stronger than the filter, so worst case you will damage the filter, but this is just a hope and speculation.

Cheese Monkey 29 Jun 2018
In reply to MrTumnus:

It felt like it slid?

Worst case- stud thread stripped, means it could come undone very easily. Unlikely I would have thought as the studs are usually a pretty decent size.

Maybe- Stripped thread on the filter. Just put a new one on

Best case- it’s just tighter than it needs to be and it will be fine

I almost always overtighten mine by accident and then have to destroy them to get them off! If you’re worried enough to post on here about it go and take it off and check 

OP MrTumnus 29 Jun 2018
In reply to MrTumnus:

cheers for the replies all. Filter is tight right now and doesn't leak at all so not too concerned about it popping off. It's had a good ragging as well so I think if it was going to go it would have by now.

Having not examined the stud fitting I was dreading if it had started to strip I was wondering if it was part of the block which would be more than the bike's  worth. If the thread on the filter is a shagged that's absolutely fine and just have to ruin it next service getting it off. 

I can more or less relax in that case and worry about it in a few 1000 miles. 

Thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...