UKC

Scottish DWS and wetsuit vest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 francois 29 Jun 2018

Hi, after moving here from the SW, I am keen to keep on DWS-ing. But having had a look  at the water temps, I'm tempted to get a wetsuit vest like this. Does anyone have experience with these and are they worth it? https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/billabong-furnace-mens-polypro-vest-black-a...

subtle 29 Jun 2018
In reply to francois:

Suspect you may sweat whilst wearing a neoprene vest for DWS, even in Scotland!

Give it a bit more time, experience some of the local Scottish delicacies and you will develop the usual layer of "insulation" that the majority of local have, thus rendering the need for wet suit obsolete 

oldie 29 Jun 2018
In reply to francois:

>  I'm tempted to get a wetsuit vest like this. Does anyone have experience with these and are they worth it? https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/billabong-furnace-mens-polypro-vest-black-a... <

Isn't that just a polypropylene vest to be worn under a wetsuit? If you don't want a wetsuit then a Helly Hanson vest might be as good.

OP francois 29 Jun 2018
In reply to oldie: yes you are correct  I’m looking for a neoprene too actually

oldie 29 Jun 2018
In reply to francois:

As subtle says I'd have thought neoprene would be too restrictive or sweaty for much climbing. If you were seriously considering one then perhaps one of the light ones (though easily damaged) that I think are made for open water swimming and sleeveless or short sleeves. I doubt if you'll find anyone who uses one for serious climbing and have no experience myself (which is what you were hoping for!).

TheGeneralist 30 Jun 2018
In reply to OP

I have rubbish temperature regulation so this may not apply to you.....

I don't think clothing exists that is cool enough to do hideously strenuous difficult exercise in the possibly sunkissed heat of the day..... but also allows you to float about happily in cold conductive water that could easily be 10 to 15 degrees colder.

I just don't think it's possible. You could get something that'd keep you warm in the water but climbing in it would suck. Unless the route was really easy (For you) in which case you could just have ditched the wetsuit anyway and played the numbers.

Might be better to put the effort in ensuring that you can get out of the water quickly instead. Though that won't help with the cold water shock of course. But then neither would a rash vest either.

IMHO

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...