UKC

Rope Soloing The Nose

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 domainsley 30 Jun 2018

Rope Soloing The Nose, Yosemite - please give your thoughts on the best soloing system, and equiptment

just want to hear how other people would go about it !! 

Cheers 

timjones 30 Jun 2018
In reply to domainsley:

A silent partner and a continuous loop rope system unless you are seriously fast.

You are probably going  to need to be fast if picking such a busy route.

In reply to domainsley:

Hilarious. 

OP domainsley 01 Jul 2018
In reply to timjones:

Hi Tim, How busy actually is the route during peak season? And when would be the best time to rope solo it, early season or late season? Cheers 

In reply to Just Another Dave:

Heres another person who spends more time on UKC bashing people than being outside!!! Hahahha have a good day brother I love you to pieces!!! 

philhilo 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

Hi dom,

Thats a big question, the answer could fill a book (it does and you need to read them)! Short answers already given above, continuous loop,silent partner and 10 - 20 teams on the Nose in peak season spring and autumn. First up go read 'road to the Nose by Chris Mcnamara ' or Andy Ks new book on big walling. Spend a fortune. Learn how to do that close to home. Go do a big wall. Then read Andy K's 'Me Myself and I '. Spend more money, buy a Silent Partner if you can (not made anymore, £400-500 on eBay) or use different device. Practise a lot, get super fit. Do challenging things. Spend long days carrying heavy stuff to go do scary things on you own. Think really hard about do you really want to do the Nose as you are going to be very unpopular at peak times and will be in everyone's way and you will also loose huge amounts of time as you are overtaken. Or do it at night (more dangerous) or pick another route on El Cap - Zodiac? Read, read, read, practice, try everything,  read some more. 

That would be a summary. Good luck!

CleanShine 01 Jul 2018

You have finished a marvelous movement. I esteem your work and wish you favorable circumstances for the accompanying posts. keep posting.

professional cleaning services

In reply to philhilo:

Yo Phil!! Great response, cheers mate appreciate it!! Have a good 1 

timjones 01 Jul 2018
In reply to domainsley:

I'm not sure how many teams you'll find on the Nose but I'm fairly confident that the answer is a lot.

However tempting it may be I would choose other routes to rope solo and enjoy the Nose with good company whilst enjoying the experience of climbing as a team.

You will almost certainly move slowly and allowing multiple teams to pass just makes you even slower.

In reply to domainsley:

Unless you have a lot of rope soloing experience (I'm assuming not?), I would look for something with more aid - Zodiac or perhaps Tangerine Trip. The nose people free a lot, so they will be moving past you fast, or you have to really move - and free rope solo is a lot trickier! I'd say to avoid both the Nose and Lurking Fear for this reason.

Why not go do something on Washington Column or the Leaning Lower first?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...