UKC

Flights and bags to California

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oliwarlow 01 Jul 2018

Hey, so thinking of a California trip, flying from the UK to SFO, its been a few years since I last went so don't know what the current deal is with most airlines and baggage fees.

I'll have 3 hold bags (and just me) so multiple flights with multiple bags charges is not great.  In the past virgin Atlantic were good as they gave you two bags (the second was 'sports equipment') included, but i think that is no longer the case?

Anyway, anyone with up to date info on the best/cheapest options let me know.  Ideally from Scotland/north of England to SFO, but getting bus/train to London also very doable.

Thanks

Oli.

(P.s. appologies if this info is already on the forums, haven't actually looked)

David Lanceley 01 Jul 2018
In reply to oliwarlow:

Take a look at Air Lingus via Dublin.  Big advantage is that you can do US immigration in Dublin and not have to join the queues at SFX.  Dublin airport is small so the transfer is easy and your bags would go straight to SFX.  I've flown the LAX route a few times (in business class) and all good but expect a lot of green and an unusual selection of movies.

OP oliwarlow 01 Jul 2018
In reply to David Lanceley:

Thanks David, I am more at the camp4 dirtbag end of the spectrum, so sleeping in airports, waiting in long qs and taking buses is more my thing but I'll look into them anyway

O.

cat22 02 Jul 2018
In reply to oliwarlow:

Try Norwegian from Gatwick to Oakland nonstop. Zero frills, but even when you pay extra for bags you can sometimes get a return flight for under 400 quid.

Bone Idle 03 Jul 2018
In reply to oliwarlow:

Manchester /sfo direct £350 Thomas cook return, book in advance for this price not sure about baggage.

Brown 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Bone Idle:

Thomas Cook were cheap for luggage last summer as they did not have a bag multiplier so the third bag cost as much as the first.  (Some airlines charge £50 for bag one, £100 for bag two, £150 for bag three)

We had (between two) two bike boxes and five 100 litre duffel bags. It was £60 per bike and £50 for additional bags.

The biggest challenge is weight in big bags!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...