UKC

Micro cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 02 Jul 2018

I have a rack of Totems down to the blue, but would like something a bit smaller for the occasional 'oh crap there's no gear' moment. Currently stuck deciding between the black Totem (wishful thinking!?), or the blue Alien Revolution or Totem Basic. Or even perhaps the black Alien which covers a 'full size' down from the blue with barely any overlap.

Anyone have any advice from experience of using the Totem Basics or Aliens? Or perhaps an alternative suggestions?

jezb1 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Totem Basics aren't being manufactured at the moment and I don't think you can get hold of a black Totem either so you can probably rule them out sadly.

joe.91 02 Jul 2018
In reply to jezb1:

I believe the blue totem basic is the same size as the black totem totem. I have a black alien for the size your after, its okay but I can find it hard to get it to 'stick'. 

Sam B 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Bergzeit seem to have black Totems in stock atm. I can recommend them personally, if you can get one.

Also worth mentioning, DMM are producing a new range of 'Dragonfly' cams, which are supposed to be miniature Dragons essentially. Never placed one though.

philhilo 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I was going to say get a Totem Basic (but they only go to Blue - same size as the black Totem), I have several sets and they are great.  However if they aren't making them then no go. I have a black Alien and hate it, I always go with an old wild Country 00 which is the same size. Wait for the new DMMs?

OP tehmarks 02 Jul 2018
In reply to philhilo:

What's your problem with the Alien? I was leaning towards an Alien (black or blue undecided, probably the blue).

beardy mike 02 Jul 2018
In reply to Sam B:

Ref the DMM Microcam, not unless you want to wait until sometime next year to buy.

Post edited at 13:50
 Paul Hy 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I bought the Black Totem from V12 last week, (sold out now though) but regarding other micro cam i have the 3 smallest Metolius Master cams size 00, 0 & 1.  The 1 is similar size to the Black Totem and is available for about £50.  i have used all my master cams though not fallen on them but they are flexible and sit well in small pockets/ cracks.

Luke01 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

If you can get a black totem then do so, better than anything else I've used.   

slab_happy 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

> the black Totem (wishful thinking!?)

Needlesports (and I'm sure some other websites too) have an option to enter your e-mail address and be e-mailed as soon as something comes back into stock.

Which is how I have a black Totem. I can confirm that it has brought me comfort at various "oh crap there's no gear" moments.

IainWhitehouse 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

> black Totem (wishful thinking!?),

(A few) More Black Totems (and all other sizes too) will be back in shops tomorrow.

Liam Ingram 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Another vote for the black totem.

Donotello 02 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I weigh 12.5 stone and i've fallen and been held on Camp Ballnuts..

MischaHY 03 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

I've recently gone for Alien Revolutions (long sling) as Totems are not readily available right now - they seem great. Went for Black, Blue, Green and Yellow. I've heard there may be some inconsistencies with build quality though so we'll see how they hold up. First impressions in slippy Swabian limestone is that holding power is impressive. 

OP tehmarks 03 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks all. I think I'm going to go for the black Totem for consistency reasons, and based on the overwhelmingly positive things people seem to have to say for it.

philhilo 19 Jul 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Just doesn't hold as well as the WC (that's from lots of aid climbing so I find out if it holds) and the build quality is pretty rough and ready. Of course the black Totem is much bigger than the black Alien so wouldn't compare the holding on those two. Not sure if Totem are ever going to produce something as small as a black Alien in either the Totems or Basic Totems. They didn't seem to be planning it last time I asked.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...