UKC

New South Devon guide out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Kelly 03 Jul 2018

It's nearly here, the new South Devon Guide. Pick mine up tomorrow!

https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/20-southdevo...

Sean

Donotello 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Awesome! Been waiting for this. 

That is just a link to a picture though, might want to link to the actual book launch page / info / sale page.

Post edited at 22:56
 Luke90 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Donotello:

The CC website still just says "soon", as far as I can see:

https://www.climbers-club.co.uk/shop/books/south-west/south-devon/

dbrooks 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

cracking cover photo!

can't wait to get my hands on this

Post edited at 23:18
In reply to Luke90:

Having spoken to both the author and the distributor I believe it is due to arrive today, so keep your eyes peeled. 

broc 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Really looking forward to getting hold of this! Along with the recent excellent Dartmoor guide and the Culm coast guide that is in preparation, things are looking good for Devon climbing coverage. 

Tom Last 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Luke90:

My God, Rainbow Bridge is just world class isn’t it.

Good job, Pete. Looking forward to this. 

unicycleboy 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I'm looking forward to it! Does anyone know if there's anywhere likely to stock it between Exeter and Plymouth? I might be down there this weekend and would rather avoid having to go into them to pick it up. (Can't remember if dart rock has any guidebooks?)

BALD EAGLE 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Fantastic news and a maa-hoosive thanks + top effort from Pete Saunders! Cheers Dave

Wft 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Brilliant effort, Pete. So good to have Berry Head deep water soloing on the cover, true world class climbing. Speaking of world class, I look forward to seeing the grades at Torbryan

Post edited at 12:21
In reply to Sean Kelly: Ooh yes! Very much looking forward to buying this so I can keep my original, weird South Devon & Dartmoor Guide somewhere safe. 

Brilliant effort Pete! Looks like it will be very good! May have to head down sometime soon to give it a test run! 

Misha 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

I hope this one has a few ‘bons mots’ as well. The Nick White guide was pretty special for sure...

OP Sean Kelly 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Obviously timed to coincide with the lifting of the Bird Ban at the Old Redoubt at Berry Head so we can get on all those E7's! The CC will probably have a guidebook launch party or two, probably at the Quay Climbing Centre + some other venue.

Sean

Mark Kemball 04 Jul 2018
In reply to unicycleboy:

Pete climbs at the Barn, they're bound to stock it. http://www.barnclimbingwall.co.uk/ 

Kafoozalem 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I can confirm the rumours are true. A couple of boxes were picked up on Friday in Mid Wales and winged their way southward. A handful of freebies have been given to locals who helped out and more are in the post. I have a few left which I'm selling off for a bargain price but you'll have to catch me.... anyone on Whirlpool Buttress tomorrow?

I believe The Barn and Taunton Leisure will get their stock by the end of the week and Cotswold Outdoor and Go Outdoors should follow a week or so later. The Hangar has also expressed an interest in stocking it. If any other retailer/climbing Wall wants to stock it please contact Richard Wheeldon at Cordee.

It's a bit of a monster at over 500 pages.  A big thank you to Simon Wooster who authored much of the eastern area and others who helped and all those working to keep the climbs in condition. Talking of which there are a couple of climbs not in the greatest condition - I'll post a separate thread.

Post edited at 23:10
 kingholmesy 04 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Good work Pete!  I forgot to reply to your text earlier, but yes please I’ll have a copy.  Will get in touch to sort the logistics if you’re passing this way on Friday.

Kafoozalem 04 Jul 2018
In reply to kingholmesy:

OK Luke - will bring a couple with me.

AJM 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Pete, sample pages look great and I'm super excited to get my grubby paws on it before heading down for some DWS. Any idea when the CC website are due to get stock?

james mann 05 Jul 2018
In reply to AJM:

CC website is stocked by Cordee. When they have stock you can order I think. Guide is fantastic. Pete and Simon have done an amazing job. Perhaps the best guidebook I have ever seen! It has passed the guidebook toilet reading test admirably. Have spent hours in there this week!

James

Post edited at 08:01
 Kafoozalem 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I have been informed there is a slight delay in the printers releasing the books to Cordee. It will probably be next week that the first retailers get it.

Pete

In reply to Kafoozalem:

The anticipation is killing me!!!

Can't wait to see it

Andy Lagan 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Well Done!

My In-laws live close to Morwell rocks, and anytime I've had an explore around there it's been a bit confusing. Looking forward to heading there with the guidebook. Thanks very much for the big effort.

Phil79 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Well done Pete, looks fantastic!

In reply to Kafoozalem:

Looks like its going to be a great read, just a shame I moved to Scotland before it was released! Doh! Well done to everyone involved

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Delivery into Cordee has been promised for 10th July (next Tuesday) - retailers with copies on  Back-order will therefore get stock on the 11th / 12th and the guidebook should appear on / in the CC eshop pretty much straight away...

In reply to Luke90:

> The CC website still just says "soon", as far as I can see:

Is it not featuring Hay Tor or The Dewerstone?

Edit: OK just read more carefully. "A sister guide to cover Dartmoor..."

Post edited at 13:25
 Tyler 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Wood for Trees:

> Speaking of world class, I look forward to seeing the grades at Torbryan

By this do you mean they have previously been a bit soft? I've only had one visit but I did seem to be going well....

Chris Ebbutt 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I can confirm it is quite stunning, put it to immediate good effect at Chudleigh North last night.

The photos and topos of all those routes I’ve wondered where they went, or even how to get to them revealed clearly. So much to inspire anyone, new visitor to jaded local.

I would think it “a must have” for any UK climber. Thankyou to Pete and Simon for all their amazing work producing the guide.

Chris

Post edited at 14:08
 Wft 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Tyler:

Some soft, some hard. Expect a forum post!

Tyler 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Wood for Trees:

Yes, looking back even my very limited sample was a mixed bag, I had to RP Mayday.....not soft!

OP Sean Kelly 05 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

Interesting use of Alpine grades for Ladram Bay. After seeing the pics of axes I was thinking Scottish winter grades. A great guide from Pete & Simon, but my back pocket just isn't big enough!

petecallaghan 06 Jul 2018
In reply to Kafoozalem:

I spent yesterday evening sitting in the setting sun, reading the guide from cover to cover. It's an amazing asset for Devon climbing, and an impressive achievement by Pete and all concerned.  

The photos alone should inspire people to explore more widely. 

DAVETHOMAS90 13 Jul 2018
In reply to petecallaghan:

A very big Well Done and Thank You to Pete, Simon, and everyone involved in putting the new guide together. 

Mine arrived this morning, knocking over my bike, and destroying my Ming vase collection in the process..

Very much a bumper fun book, with an unfathomable amount of new climbs and info. 

We owe a huge debt of gratitude for the time and effort invested in making sure everything is recorded, to cover the history and fabulous diversity of Devon climbing. 

Still a "Superb cover photo"  

Post edited at 14:55
 Cusco 13 Jul 2018
In reply to DAVETHOMAS90:

'Still "a superb cover photo" '

But not quite as good as Nick White's hey? Classic!

Bleached blonde, a luminous yellow harness. And are they Asolos?  So early 90s.

I seem to remember that an On The Edge feature on South Devon had a similar photo of the same chap in a similar place on Flaming Drambuie - when he was soloing it.

Tsk. Crazy soloers. Next you'll be telling me he soloed Lord of the Flies or some such...

DAVETHOMAS90 14 Jul 2018
In reply to Cusco:

Yes, you're right. Asolo Runouts  

I think the amount of work a small number of people are willing to put into writing definitive guides is simply stunning.

Nick produced his guide on an Amstrad, that he seemed to have to wind up to get going! 

The eighties were fantastic for development, and it's great to see plenty of new activity now. 

chrisweight 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Ooooooohhhh!!!

time to spend some of that hard-earned pocket money!

dbrooks 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

is anywhere in Plymouth stocking this?

In reply to dbrooks:

> is anywhere in Plymouth stocking this?

… yep, Cotswold should have them in anytime now...

Mark Kemball 19 Jul 2018
In reply to dbrooks:

see kafoozalem's post above.

Paz 20 Jul 2018

It looks fantastic - well done everyone involved.

Are there any new DWS crags covered that weren't in Mikey R's Deep Water Rockfax?

Wft 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Paz:

> Are there any new DWS crags covered that weren't in Mikey R's Deep Water Rockfax?

Yes, some minor ones around the Torquay area but nothing major. Haven’t got it to hand so can’t list them. It does however feature all the most recent dws developments since Deep Water was published. I think the book is worth it for Berry Head alone, amazing descriptions and topos for the big traverses. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...