UKC

Midge count

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ann S 09 Jul 2018

I've not been able to climb for a while, so was just wondering how this hot spell has affected the midge population. Is it better, worse or about the same as in normal conditions.

CaelanB 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ann S:

I've been out in the cairngorms loads recently (not the most prominent midge hot-spot admittedly). There's been almost no midges to speak of! Even in the mornings/evenings. There's just so little standing water for them to spawn in.

krikoman 09 Jul 2018
In reply to CaelanB:

spawn in!

LOL

peppermill 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ann S:

Depends where you are. The Smidge midge forecast has seemed pretty good so far. I was on Arran over the weekend and they were there but more than bearable (bearable being in the eye of the beholder of course!)

Cleggs were a much bigger issue with one of our group this morning being prescribed a week of antibiotics after the redness and swelling from a bite from Saturday was still continuing to spread when they woke up today.

OP Ann S 09 Jul 2018
In reply to peppermill:

Ouch -yes I'd forgotten all about clegg misery.

stp 09 Jul 2018
In reply to peppermill:

I wasn't sure what a clegg was so I looked it up. I'm still a little confused to be honest.

Are you referring to:

1. a male musician with an abnormally large penis
  2. a sex pest who stops to talk with prostitutes
  3. the dried up poo found in the crack of ones bum, often caused by a poor wiping technique
 greg_may_ 09 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

Horsefly

But a clegg bite in your bumcrack would be as bad as any of the three.

jonny taylor 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ann S:

Can confirm zero midges (but some cleggs) in the various places I was around the trossachs over the weekend. Uncanny.

Post edited at 13:04
 Marek 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ann S:

Very few midges in Assynt or south Skye last week, but horseflies in Glen Slig were 'annoying'.

OP Ann S 09 Jul 2018

Thanks for the updates. So what are the chances that continued hot weather will seriously reduce the midge population over the next few years. Or is that just wishful thinking.

oldie 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ann S:

Skye pretty much OK last Tuesday to Friday. Only occasionally bothersome on main ridge when wind and temperature dropped especially at night., Wooded areas on coast path to Elgol worst.

deepsoup 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Ann S:

Just wishful thinking, sadly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...