UKC

In the market for a new race vest for long stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 11 Jul 2018

I've been running long runs and ultras for the last few years with an Ultimate Direction AK 3.0 pack - I love it - perfect balance between being lightweight but being able to stuff it full for an epic. However, the trekking pole bungees have perished, I've lost the soft flasks (and generic replacements don't seem to fit) and to top it all on my last ultra I buggered the large zip at the back so it means it now flaps open at inopportune moments.

Obviously these issues could probably be overcome by repairing the pack and I'm looking at that but I also thought it would be a good time/excuse to look at something new as kit has come on a long way since then. 

Has anyone got any recommendations? The criteria are:

1. Should have front loaded soft flasks - not too bothered about a bladder
  2. Trekking pole storage
  3. Generous storage - must be able to comfortably store full UTMB mandatory kit.
  4. Lots of pockets for accessing food, sun cream, phone etc on the go.
  5. Should bungee down tight for shorter runs where I don't need much stuff.
  6. Rugged
  7. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest - features and quality are priority.

Any recommendations or thoughts from the running UKC collective?

Dark-Cloud 11 Jul 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Salomon Adv Skin 12 Set is what i went for, i love it, unfortunately rugged is not really a word i would use but it is a quality bit of kit, the comfort and flexibility is brilliant, i find i forget i am wearing it even when fairly loaded with kit.

Edit:

Just to add on the rugged comment. mine is the older model and i have had it for a good 4 years now and done numerous events, one mesh pocket has snagged and has a hole in it but that's only because i jammed a phone in a waterproof case in there, but lots of mesh and lightweight materials are never going to be bombproof type of rugged. However i would replace with exactly the same in the blink of an eye when the time comes.

Post edited at 13:03
 shuffle 11 Jul 2018
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've got one of these as well and really like it. Super comfy and swallows up a surprising amount of kit.

OP yorkshireman 11 Jul 2018
In reply to shuffle and richlan:

> Salomon Adv Skin 12 Set

Thanks, I've still got one of those (although obviously a fairly old model now) from before the UD one and the zips seized up (I should probably have lubed them) but to be honest I never really got on with it. Not enough handy pockets.

Besides I race in France and everyone wears Salomon here - need to represent les rosbifs

Dark-Cloud 11 Jul 2018

The zips on mine were stiff, a bit of Vaseline sorted it, regular washing helps as mine is usually caked in salt at the end of an event anyway

So OMM it is then  i spotted all the Brits from behind by the Inov8 and OMM packs last weekend on this:

http://www.trailvsb.com/en/

The New NickB 11 Jul 2018

> Besides I race in France and everyone wears Salomon here - need to represent les rosbifs

You can really show the Frenchies how it’s done with one of these:

https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/buy/pete-bland-bumbag-green_5338.htm

Wonrek 11 Jul 2018

Montane Dragon,

Swear by them and have run 100+ miles with mine. Confy, practical, hard wearing and an absolute bargain at SportsShoes atm!

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon946/montane-via-dragon-20l-backpack-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...