UKC

MOT emissions level help (Old TDI)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberEd 16 Jul 2018

I've had a good google around this but I think I need some knowledgeable help and hoping someone on here may be able to help.

My old Golf TDI (about 2004 I think, 115k miles) has just failed it's MOT based on new emissions regulations. (diesel smoke level I believe) 

As I understand it the government level for this car would be 3.0. if no 'plate' can be found. Apparently my 'plate' level is 0.7 which is what needs to be used. My car tests at 1.4

So a 'random' (given that it is linked to when the car was new etc.) level, that is probably very low in order to look good (it is a VW and this is emissions remember) is going to force me to scrap a perfectly functional car, even when it comes well within 'standardised' government levels.

Does this make sense (i.e. have I understood it correctly) and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Dax H 16 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

A good blast up and down the motorway with a good fule additive in the tank. My old van used to smoke because I pottered about in it but a good gulp of whatever injected cleaner my mates garage recommended and thrashing the arse of it for a bit sorted it out every time. 

OP ClimberEd 16 Jul 2018
In reply to Dax H:

Ah, thanks, I do mainly do shortish journeys. 

Just as an idea do you think an hour will do the trick, or a long 4hr+ needed?

Thank you!

Moley 16 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

With my old diesels I also did as above, week before the MOT I would fill tank and put in additive to clean injectors etc. and just before the test hammer the car at full revs - typically drop it into 3gear and full revs up a long straight hill. It is a little scary but you will not believe the s*** that it blows out.

Worth a go.

OP ClimberEd 16 Jul 2018
In reply to Moley:

> With my old diesels I also did as above, week before the MOT I would fill tank and put in additive to clean injectors etc. and just before the test hammer the car at full revs - typically drop it into 3gear and full revs up a long straight hill. It is a little scary but you will not believe the s*** that it blows out.

> Worth a go.

Again, thank you, I will also give that a shot!

Dax H 16 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

In my case about 1 hour. I would jump on the M62 at Leeds and go to the M61 and back again. Some good hills on there and no speed cameras. 

Ridge 16 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

+1 for a good thrash pre-test.

balmybaldwin 16 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

Always make sure the car is properly warm before taking to the test

NottsRich 17 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

Does your car have a DPF, or has it never had one fitted even from the factory?

> 2. Stricter rules for diesel car emissions

> There are stricter limits for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter (DPF).

> A DPF captures and stores exhaust soot to reduce emissions from diesel cars.

> Check your car’s handbook if you don’t know if your car has a DPF.

> Your vehicle will get a major fault if the MOT tester:

> - can see smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust.

> - finds evidence that the DPF has been tampered with.

From here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

OP ClimberEd 17 Jul 2018
In reply to NottsRich:

Will have a look, thanks.

PaulScramble 17 Jul 2018

Scotty Kilmer has the answer. It helps if you can do a basic oil and filter service:  youtube.com/watch?v=5I71er1vxZQ&

Post edited at 22:41
 marsbar 18 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

This is the stuff I used when my old car was not running well, double dose the first time and as above a right good thrashing.   

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/mil...

IPPurewater 18 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

Change the oil, oil filter and air filter in addition to a fuel additive and a thrash. Good luck.

OP ClimberEd 20 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

It passed. Just. Thank you for the all the help everyone.

Moley 20 Jul 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

Well done, sell before next MOT??????

OP ClimberEd 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Moley:

Yeah, that is something to be thought about. But for now it's okay, and it's emissions are very low so I'm not gassing everyone, it's only because the plate number is so low that there was a problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...