UKC

Mackerel parasites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 17 Jul 2018

Hi all, any fisherfolk about?

I was out sea kayaking yesterday evening and stopped off for a fish on the way back. Just as I was about to give up felt a tug on the line. As I started to reel it in, there wasn't much fight so I assumed it'd be a small mackerel. As it reached the surface I was surprised to find it was a reasonable size, around 30cm or so, but still not flapping around much. When I got it on my spreydeck I noticed quite a few wee critters crawling over its body. They were about a cm long and wriggled a bit like a worm, but seemed to have forked tails a bit like an earwig, and a slightly bulbous head end from what I could tell. I decided I could probably just wash them off so clobbered the mackerel on the head and stuck it in may deck bag and headed in.

Back on the beach I took the mackerel out to gut it and was a bit ashamed to see it was still quivering around a lot (pretty sure it had stopped moving when I first hit it). I clobbered it a few more times, but it was still quivering away, just nerves I guess (the head was pretty bashed in by now), but I've never seen a mackerel flap around that much when dead before.

I gave it a good inspection before cooking it, and couldn't see any obvious sign of parasites or disease, not that I'm an expert on that by any stretch. It tasted pretty good, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a well fish. Does anyone know what the critters were or seen them before? Is it best to avoid eating if you see them (a bit late for that now!)?

krikoman 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Tapeworm, and they'll be eating your brain way by now

I have no idea really, good luck

Rob Parsons 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Sea lice?

OP MikeR 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

That's the critters, just googled them. Thanks. 

OP MikeR 17 Jul 2018
In reply to krikoman:

That would explain a few things!

two_tapirs 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Mackerel Parasites sounds like something you'd discover on BBC 6 Music

krikoman 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Sea lice?

They live around your knackers, keep an eye open

Rob Parsons 17 Jul 2018
In reply to krikoman:

Not around mine they don't.

Mind you, I did catch some crabs at Scarborough once.

jungle 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

There's a whole host of fish-borne parasites that can infect humans. The chances are very low however and if you've cooked it you'll be fine. 

The same applies for all meat and animal products. Some are just more risky than others!... Like uncooked pork anus

OP MikeR 17 Jul 2018
In reply to jungle:

Thanks, I was more curious than worried.

I can't say I've ever, even slightly, been tempted to try raw pork anus...

pasbury 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

No I always cook it - sausages taste better that way anyway.

krikoman 17 Jul 2018
In reply to jungle:

>... Like uncooked pork anus

Yum yum

kathrync 17 Jul 2018
In reply to jungle:

> There's a whole host of fish-borne parasites that can infect humans. The chances are very low however and if you've cooked it you'll be fine. 

Yes...never ever go out for sushi with members of a parasitology lab!  I guarantee you won't enjoy your food!

profitofdoom 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Parasite numbers are going off the scales now

Timmd 17 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

> Yes...never ever go out for sushi with members of a parasitology lab!  I guarantee you won't enjoy your food!

birdie num num 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

Whenever I cook pork anus for mrs num num, I normally serve it with a sausage coming out of it.

It turns an ordinary dish into a fine dining experience

profitofdoom 17 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

> Yes...never ever go out for sushi with members of a parasitology lab!  I guarantee you won't enjoy your food!

OK, point taken. I bet they are a bundle of information in any restaurant though

Sean_J 17 Jul 2018
In reply to birdie num num:

> Whenever I cook pork anus for mrs num num, I normally serve it with a sausage coming out of it.

> It turns an ordinary dish into a fine dining experience

Or a sausage going into it, even. Fnaar fnaar.

Yanis Nayu 17 Jul 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

Fish for sushi is frozen before use to kill parasites. 

In reply to two_tapirs:

> Mackerel Parasites sounds like something you'd discover on BBC 6 Music

So does two_tapirs...!

cb294 17 Jul 2018
In reply to kathrync:

I was just about to post something along these lines!

Lunch with the students right after the parasitology lecture is also not a good idea...

CB

Tony Jones 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

I wouldn't expect mackerel to be covered in sea lice in normal conditions. No salmon farms nearby were there?

OP MikeR 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

No, this was off the Aberdeenshire coast. I've never seen it before, hence the thread.

krikoman 17 Jul 2018
In reply to profitofdoom:

> Parasite numbers are going off the scales now

Brexit, init!

Kevster 17 Jul 2018
In reply to MikeR:

You'll be pleased to hear the mackerel out of tescos also have plenty of parasites too (not the only fish to suffer this, and lets not go into shell fish - yes I know shell fish are not "real fish")

If you're squeamish, dont look it up on the internet. the majority we need to worry about live in the body cavities of fish, and tend to migrate to the flesh after death.... So a good reason to gut your fish asap.

If you just looked it up on the internet - deep fried and over cooked also helps kill off those in the flesh.

As for the poster who says transmission is low - most parasites the transmission probability is so low, its a miracle they still exist. Yet they do, in vast numbers....

Enjoy! I liked parasitology, but you've gotta have a strong stomach!

birdie num num 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Sean_J:

The diner is at liberty to enjoy whichever:

Squeezing out.....Or pushing in.

Phil Anderson 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Fish for sushi is frozen before use to kill parasites. 

That's true in the US. In the UK farmed fish don't have to be frozen. In many other countries, any fish can be used raw.

If you're referring to that crud they sell in supermarkets labelled as sushi, then I have no idea what processes the fish has been through, but I suspect freezing is probably the least of its problems!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...