UKC

Slate: Geographically Celibate, Lost World

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Never spotted this one when walking through. Just curious. Can anyone enlighten me about exactly where in the Lost World it is? Is it still OK to do after rockfalls?Geographically Celibate (E3 6a)

ianstevens 18 Jul 2018
In reply to harold walmsley:

The phrase "has been half buried by rubble" in the description would suggest not

Phil Anderson 18 Jul 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

LOL! I see what you mean, although it also says "used to be twice as long" so it sounds like the other half might still be climbable.

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 18 Jul 2018

So the bottom section which was basically a rock step to get to the main arete was buried in a previous rockfall(s). The latest rockfall was a lot further over, it fell towards the base of the ladders and the through tunnel to Mordor. Fortunately the top half was the better climbing.

Compared to The Coolridge Effect and Tick's Groove which I was also invovled in the first ascents of, half a route remaining is a win!!!!

Hope you enjoy it Harold if you get down to it. Also check out Alive Springs Level, there are a few new sport routes for you there, probably too easy for you though.

I did a good few of harold's new sports routes across the quarries and have to say they were great additions. Harold has pretty much developed 4 maybe 5 new crags plus loads of other route scrattered through the quarries. So great effort Harold.

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thanks. The picture makes it clear.  I never found it because I always looked much closer to the tunnel. 

In reply to Mark Reeves:

I hope to be getting back to slate soon but I've got some unfinished business at Tyddyn Hywel first. 

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 18 Jul 2018
In reply to harold walmsley: The quarry as you pass trevor. Nice. Will have to check it out. Always thought it looked good but bold up there. Seems like you found the solution.

In reply to Mark Reeves:

Yes plenty of bolts! The climbing is very good up there and the approach is unique. Make sure you find the steps, otherwise it is awful.

Tydden Hywel great,no problem finding steps on the way up but a 'mare on descent. Will take a marker pole if we return. Top work,good crag!

In reply to freelunchprovider:

My approach description in UKC highlights the key landmarks for the way down: To leave the level the climbs start from, pass the ruined building then, from close to the next small rowan tree, set off down the thrash to the lower level. This leads to the top of the upper steps. A fair way down these you pass another small rowan on the left, the traverse to the lower steps starts exactly one zig-zag below it  (marked by a small cairn but easy to overshoot). After that just follow the steps.

Post edited at 21:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...