UKC

Hardshell Trousers or Hard-to-Find Trousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JonoDHawkins 18 Jul 2018

I've been looking for a pair of decent (read: not bin-bag, preferably full-zip, suitable for mountaineering, and not black) hardshell trousers for a while.

Obvious choices from good brands seem to be the ME Tupilak, Rab Sharp Edge, Jottnar, etc. however it's proving difficult to find anywhere that's stocking these online (Cotswold, Needle Sports, AlpineTrek, Joe Browns, etc.) and where they are to be found, they're usually at full RRP (£300+) which I'm hesitant to fork out for!

Am I just being optimistic wanting to find anything that cuts below the £250 mark (and preferably lower), and if so where are good places to look?

olddirtydoggy 18 Jul 2018
In reply to JonoDHawkins:

Depending on where you live there are some great factory shops and open days. Rab open Wed afternoons at Alfreton, Mountain Equipment at Hyde open their doors regularly, my wife picked up a pair of Tupilaks for £50 a couple of weeks back and Berghaus have a factory shop at Gretna Green. Oh yes Montane are at Durham. Sport Pursuit can deliver randomly. Good luck.

Cotswold give discount codes to a variety of organisations - typically 20%, bringing £300 down to £240 - might you be eligible for one of their discount codes?

OP JonoDHawkins 18 Jul 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Ah alas being based in the South makes that a bit tricky, but thanks for the tip if I ever chance it to be in the right place at the right time!

I suppose this was more a query as to if I'm missing out on any retailers that stock hardshell trousers as everything seems to be a bit depleted at the moment (obviously not being 'in season').

olddirtydoggy 18 Jul 2018

Sportpursuit

Berghaus

Mens Oktang II GTX Bib Trousers

£149

J Glendinning 18 Jul 2018

Wouldn't be my first choice of colour but they're definitely not black!

https://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/mens/bottoms

Mark Stevenson 19 Jul 2018

I have been having exactly the same problems for about 18 months now. You are perfectly correct, there is a completely ridiculous shortage of waterproof trousers available at retailers.

In my case it's made even worse having a sport climber's build (28" waist, 33" inside leg) so standard sizes rarely come close to fitting.

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...