UKC

Time allowance for Pinnacle Ridge, St Sunday Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Hunt 20 Jul 2018

Sorry, total punter question here. I'll possibly be in Patterdale on Tuesday afternoon/evening with a few hours to kill. Can anyone give me an indication of how much time to allow to do Pinnacle Ridge on St Sunday Crag from Patterdale. i.e. a rough time to walk in, climb up (will be on my own so no need to faff with ropes), and descend, probably by the most direct route down.

Obviously it depends on fitness and finding the start of the scramble quickly, but a rough idea (2 hours? 3 hours? 4 hours?) would be really helpful.

Cheers.

Route Adjuster 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

It's a while since I've been up there but from memory I'd guess at:

60-90 minutes walk in (relatively short but steep ascent)

30 minutes on the route (for a confident solo scrambler, possibly even less)

60 minutes walk off

Around 3hrs in total?

Tyler 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

I can give you a proportional view.

Pleasant walk along valley 5%

Interminable slog up a horrible slope 53%%

Interesting scrambling 2%

Tedious descent 40%

Three stars my arse

Freshprintce 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

To you Will, 3 hours. The hardest part is finding the start of the scramble. If you count the scree fans after walking up the stream bed I think its after the 3rd one.

Will

Post edited at 11:33
 Mark Bull 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

It's about 9km and 750m of ascent (descending down the ridge over Birks), which is 3 hours by Naismith's rule. I'd maybe add another half an hour to account for finding the start (not as obvious as you might think) and the scrambling itself. 

GrahamUney 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

One to two hours will get you to the start of the ridge either from Patterdale or Glenridding. Allow an hour to find the correct start and do the ridge, and an hour and a half to walk off.

GeoffG 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Tyler:

Haha. couldn't agree more

OP Will Hunt 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

Thanks for the replies. Three hours it is. I've found a couple of good written approach descriptions online which do indeed mention the third scree fan and a gun-shaped prow to keep an eye out for. Should be a doddle to find......

MB42 20 Jul 2018
In reply to Will Hunt:

The guide book I have mentions a prominent horizontal tree you can see from the bottom of the scramble. In between the two times I've done it however the tree appears to have become a less prominent dead tree in the bottom of the gully which made for a confusing start the second time around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...