UKC

Polishing my helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WJV0912 23 Jul 2018

Hey guys, got a bit of an issue. I bought a helmet and it was a wee bit dirty so I gave it a good clean with mild handwash, then to remove the writing off the inside and some paint flecks on the outside I used some nail varnish remover pads; 

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Quickies-Nail-Varnish-Remover-Pads/22...

No acetone as far as I can see.

The only problem is they've now caused my helmet to fade to an almost pink colour from the red they were but in streaks where I rubbed the pad on it. It's almost like there's a stubborn layer of residue on it.

I've tried washing again with washing up liquid and a scourer with no luck. The only thing that seems to work slightly is if I scrape at it a bit with either my finger nail or a plectrum, but this is extremely hard going! Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on or any suggestions?

allarms 23 Jul 2018
In reply to WJV0912:

Polishing my helmet. Hehehehe

planetmarshall 23 Jul 2018
In reply to allarms:

> Polishing my helmet. Hehehehe

Snigger.

mike123 23 Jul 2018
In reply to WJV0912: I'm going 50/50 on calling troll . Giving you the benefit of the doubt ...the technical  term for the state of your helmet is " fu&£d " . Please please please polish it until it  glows brightly ...then turn it into a plant pot .

Protecting your head is worth somewhat more than £20.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/grey-rock-helmet-id_8389290.html?_cclid=v3_2c88...

Post edited at 21:48
In reply to mike123:

Next time cover your helmet to stop it getting dirty in the first place!   

In reply to WJV0912:

You should not be using any sort of nail varnish remover on a climbing helmet. Sounds like you should replace it.

Lusk 24 Jul 2018
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Next time cover your helmet to stop it getting dirty in the first place!   

With some kind of stretchy rubbery thing.  Be easy to clean.

chiroshi 25 Jul 2018
In reply to WJV0912:

Whatever solvent is in the nail varnish remover has attacked the bonds in whatever polymer your helmet is made from. This has turned it from a nice, bendy plastic into a sludgy mess, this is no longer going to protect your noggin. As long as you weren't "polishing" for hours and hours (I don't know what kind of stamina you have), you should have only affected a small layer on the surface. However there is no telling whether this will continue to degrade over time.

I would suggest you buy a new helmet and don't ever use a solvent on it. This includes putting on stickers (there's solvent in most glues). This might be overkill, and your helmet will PROBABLY work just as well in all accidents that you may have, but you can never be 100% sure.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...