UKC

REVIEW: Petzl SITTA Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 24 Jul 2018
Its lightness and comfort make it ideal for all-day mountain rock - Graue Wand, Furkapass, 4 kbThe SITTA is both the lightest and the most comfy harness Tom Ripley has ever used, and perhaps that explains the high price...

Read more
 galpinos 24 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Pretty much agree with all of that Tom. Incredibly light, super comfy, surprisingly hardwearing but rear gear loops could be improved.

I like the big split front loop and can get things off the back loops fine but will always stick stuff back on the front loops in extremis. I have a system now that works (quickdraws only on the back loops as i rarely have to clip them back on) but would prefer all four loops to be stiffened.

GarethSL 24 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

I have exactly the same feelings about the Sitta as Tom, regarding the floppy gear loops and really wish they had a stiffener inside. I found it even worse when wearing winter layers and gloves as it is difficult to see them and they aren't very tactile. I also found that as the gear is situated so far back it always feels like the harness is being pulled down (can also be down to the sizing issue as Tom says, it can be tricky to get right!).

I do like the gear divider, especially if you like to split up trad gear, but will admit that it can be fiddly!

The biggest killer for me however, was the position of the ice clipper slots being over the front gear loop. Whilst it still 'kind-of-works,' for a £140 harness it seems like a huge oversight. Still the Sitta is a very nice harness and I do hope that there will be some improvements.

galpinos 24 Jul 2018
In reply to GarethSL:

> ........was the position of the ice clipper slots being over the front gear loop. Whilst it still 'kind-of-works,' for a £140 harness it seems like a huge oversight. Still the Sitta is a very nice harness and I do hope that there will be some improvements.

Forgotten about the ice clipper slots, that was another bad idea. They should be either in front of or behind the front loop, not bang in the middle! Still the comfiest harness I've had though.......

John Kelly 24 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Just weighed my medium Camp Air harness, 284g

The claimed weight is 330g

cost me about £50, comfortable, 4 gear loops however I did manage to rip one off after about 4 years 

New version

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/harnesses/air-cr-evo-harness/

the latest Blue Ice harness (not yet available i understand) at less than 200g might be worth considering

olddirtydoggy 24 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Been using a lightly heavier Petzl Hirundos. Very comfy and light.

Misha 25 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Tom, you need an orange helmet. 

simes303 26 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Does anyone seriously buy a harness because of the weight?

I can't imagine the difference between this and the heavier ones is much.

John Kelly 26 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why wouldn't you, recall climbing on the Ben years ago, massive thick rope, heavy boots, harness, ice tools probably a kilo each, it was just a bloody struggle, provided its comfortable and fit for purpose go light.

simes303 26 Jul 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

But it's 140 quid to save maybe 100 grams.

John Kelly 26 Jul 2018
In reply to simes303:

you're right , i wouldn't pay that much for this bit of kit

but there is some reasonable light and cheap kit out there 

camp harness 300g 50 quid, quecha waterproof weights 200g cost a fiver, probably not my first choice cairngorms in winter, sub 500g rucksack won't last forever but fairly cheap

good skinny rope not very cheap but delight to carry and climb on

On the other hand lightweight BD cams were eyewateringly expensive for total of about 100g saving iirc

Post edited at 19:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...