UKC

best crag for children near barnstable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mutt 27 Jul 2018

Can anyone recommend a safe location with easy routes for a 7 and 13 year old?

pasbury 27 Jul 2018
In reply to mutt:

I can imagine children enjoying Ben and Marion at Baggy Point but I really can’t remember how you get to the bottom of them!

Vance2038 27 Jul 2018
In reply to mutt:

Baggy Point has some excellent easy climbs on th Promontory such as Ben and Marion. However, they are at the end of a 40m abseil and are tidal and swell dependent. Not a big thing at the moment but it can get quite emotional down there when the swell is up.

Non-abseil options with easy access are Valley of the Rocks in Lynton and, going the other way, Screda Point at Hartland Quay.

I’m a big fan of Screda Point for kids. Easy access (scramble down from the pub car park), easy protection from the in-situ stakes for top roping and the main face climbs don’t deserve the high grades due to extremely grippy rock.

Gerry 28 Jul 2018
In reply to mutt:

At Screda you need to be aware that the tide comes in pretty fast and your second can be getting wet feet in the time it takes to lead a route. 

North Devon is not overrun with easy routes, so at Screda severe/HS is as easy as it gets, and most areas are a lot harder and seriously scary (Baggy excepted). Valley of Rocks is OK (but a bit far) and there's no tidal issue. You could set up a top-rope on something that just looks easy or pick one of the couple of severes to lead. 

Nige M 29 Jul 2018
In reply to mutt:

It depends on what you mean by "near" but Sheeps Tor is ideal for kids and is in a beautiful setting. About 1 hour 20 minutes from Barnstaple. Avoids all the issues regarding tides and abseils associated with the coastal cliffs mentioned above. Easy to do 10+ routes in a day.

Sheeps Tor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...