UKC

Easy alpine peak recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climbing Daddy 29 Jul 2018

Hi Folks, I'm new to this forum and wanting to tap the collective mind for recommendations of easy alpine peaks that don't require crampons and ice axe etc.

I have 3 boys who can walk 12 miles and up to 900m ascent including some rocky scramble (they've been up N ridge of Tryfan this year and all climb). We're heading to Europe and I want to get them up a shapely peak that is a proper 'mountain' with a view etc.

We've done some valley walks from places like La Berarde in the past but I'm looking for a summit. Doesn't have to be 3000m (although would be nice). Will consider using cable cars etc. (after all this is Europe) to get a good start.

I've fair bit of experience climbing Alpine Peaks myself but don't have snow gear for us all so need to avoid anything other than a safe flatish snowfield.

Looking forward to hearing recommendations for anywhere in Europe although usually go to France.

TIA

Doug 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Climbing Daddy:

Plenty of summits you can walk up in the Queyras, and somewhere like the Pain de Sucre is a bit of a scramble & you can start from the nearby Col Agnel (or the car park a little lower down the road) so the vertical interval isn't that much for a summit of 3200m. See https://www.camptocamp.org/routes/57506/fr/pain-de-sucre-voie-normale . But plenty of other summits & cols nearby as well

PeterBlackler 30 Jul 2018

this a a great book covering a wide range of mountaineering types (although the "alpine mountaineering" chapter would be beyond the scope of what you're looking for) 

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/chamonix-mountain-adventures

I believe the author (or associates...) may be of this parish

(obviously) Take care

Pete

McHeath 30 Jul 2018

Maybe something in the Aiguilles Rouges (Chamonix)? Just under 3000m, lifts if you want them, and no glaciers. And incredible views of Mont Blanc and the other famous giants.

DaveHK 30 Jul 2018

I'm just back from the Tyrol and there are loads of suitable peaks out there.

jafferton91 15 Aug 2018

Mont Buet! 

jafferton91 15 Aug 2018

Mont Buet! 

goatee 15 Aug 2018

The Haute Cime on the Dents de Midi. Easy and one of the best views in the Alps.

Darron 16 Aug 2018

Pic du Midu d,Ossau via thr Pombie refuge might fit the bill. It’s in the Pyrenees.

Solaris 17 Aug 2018

I'm seconding Aiguilles Rouges (Belvedere, esp, and maybe Crochue traverse, depending on your boys' confidence and ability, though there may be "safe" snow on the descent) and Pic du Midi d'Ossau.

pflm 17 Aug 2018

Julian Alps in Slovenia could be a good option for snow/ice free mountains. The ascent of Triglav via the 7 lakes valley and an overnight stop in the Dom Planika hut from Bohinj is a really good trip. Take helmets for the (easy) scramble on Triglav, some people tend to kick stones off on the steep descent via ladders. It's a very sociable climb too - it's something of a tradition for all Slovenians to climb Triglav at least once as it is on their national flag. More information here...

https://www.summitpost.org/7-triglav-lakes-valley-route/156936

The Dolomites are another possibility - beautiful mountains and loads of via ferrata that get you into some amazing situations, including a few (minor) peaks. Some interesting historical stuff too. See ..

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/the_dolomites_-_via_ferrat...

If you have been walking around La Brerarde then you will be familiar with this very peaky peak ..

Normal Route (PD)

The normal route is an easy climb, but it is a climb and the descent is by abseil. There can be snow/ice on the approach but ice-axes and crampons are not always necessary -  the guardian at the Sorellier hut can advise you on this point. Perhaps something to look at after some training in the Queyras if they find those peaks too easy.

-Pierre

Jonny 08 Sep 2018

Midi d'Ossau is a great climb, but a fairly serious scramble in the 1st and 2nd chimneys. Your boys will probably scamper up them both without second thoughts, but some folks wouldn't free them. Abseils strongly recommended on the way down. There are slings in place.

In the Alps, the Buet's a great choice. A bit domey, but definitely a proper peak with a fun scramble (with cables) on the summit ridge. A favourite walk of mine is up past the Lac d'Anterne. A bucolic valley with a river to swim in is overlooked by a mighty wall, and stunning views over Mont Blanc that surprise you when you get to the col. Could possibly combine with the Pointe d'Anterne (or even the Tete a l'Ane) to do a proper peak.

The Mangart is another fine peak, in Slovenia. The road goes high. The Slovenian via ferrata route is fine to solo (definitely easier than Midi d'Ossau) and less busy.

Post edited at 19:44
 pavelk 08 Sep 2018

Most of Austrian peaks are like that this time of the year. Wilder Kaiser is the area with high concentration of attractive peaks just around the hut

Jonny 09 Sep 2018
In reply to pavelk:

> Wilder Kaiser is the area with high concentration of attractive peaks just around the hut

Beautiful! Very Dolomitey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...