UKC

Thirlmere Boulders Video

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ehmarra 29 Jul 2018

Ey up 

As the summer has provided us with numerous hosepipe bans i had a thought that maybe the Lost Boulders of Atlantis at Thirlmere would be out, alas I was correct. This is a video showing some of the easier problems on the rocks. Lovely place and great rock. 

vimeo.com/282123341

Thirlmere Boulders

Jon Stewart 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Ehmarra:

Cool!

I remembered about those boulders, then I remembered that the road round that side's shut, and then I forgot about them again.

You've just reminded me, so I'll check'em out on the way home from work. I very much doubt a couple of days rain has resubmerged them.

OP Ehmarra 29 Jul 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart will takes a fair few weeks of heavy rain to fill them back up. Also we walked in from the north side as no access for car. Took about 45 mins but worth it

petegunn 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

just a heads up, if any forestry people are about they will ask you to leave, so maybe go late on or on a weekend.

Michael Hood 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Is the road really shut?

Last December the signs said shut but I drove all the way round. The road across the dam was closed but you could go along the other bit from the junction under Raven Crag.

plyometrics 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

Yes. It's properly shut now. 

Michael Hood 30 Jul 2018
In reply to plyometrics:

Where are the actual "go no further" points please.

I wouldn't be happy if I wanted to access there and tried to get to it from the wrong end

plyometrics 30 Jul 2018

I’ve only tried from Wythburn end on my bike. It’s circa 400 yards (IIRC) from the junction with the A591. From the north I’m not sure. 

Post edited at 19:59
 Michael Hood 30 Jul 2018
In reply to plyometrics: thanks

That stops any time wasting mistakes, if I want to access the west side, it'll be from the north.

OP Ehmarra 31 Jul 2018

There are fixed metal fences across the road, def no cars getting down there on both the north and south approaches. The walk is about 45 mins from both north and south. 

petegunn 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Ehmarra:

Ive had friends asked to leave because of the ongoing work but others, like yourselves have managed to get there ok. A great shame not to miss this though, never seen the water so low!

Here's some other info:

https://www.unitedutilities.com/cumbria/our-plans/west-cumbria/thirlmere-re...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...