UKC

Van parking north Devon/dartmoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 30 Jul 2018

Hi all, in guessing Dartmoor itself is a no go, but can anyone recommend any quiet places for van parking at night while in the area. 

Thanks

TMM 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I would be wary of overnight parking on the moor at the moment. There has been a significant increase in vehicle break-ins over the last 2-3 months. The groups involved are apparently watching people arrive at distant car parks with binoculars and then waiting until they are on the hill before they have a go at gaining entry.

Most of the break-ins seem to be on the East and SE side of the moor at the moment.

Need to be very discrete.

OP Frankie boy 30 Jul 2018
In reply to TMM:

Thanks for that, I always presumed car crime was a risk down there but didn't realise it has got so bad.

In terms of overnight parking, I've heard it's a challenge to find somewhere to stop (other than campsites) where you're not likely to get moved on or such.

GDes 30 Jul 2018
In reply to TMM:

Really, whereabouts? Bovey/Haytor area?

cousin nick 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I presume you mean to kip in the van overnight?

Not been recently, but Meldon reservoir car park was OK if you arrive late. 

Also be aware that there are other 'users' of isolated car parks at night!

N

In reply to cousin nick:

Yep, sadly various nocturnal activities are common in a lot of car parks these days. 

Basically we're just weighing up whether to make the long drive to Devon for a week or two or whether to head into nearer Wales or the lakes instead which know a little more about.

It must be 15 years since I last climbed in Devon

AJM 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I've spent a lot of time sleeping in either car or van at various moor car parks and have never had an issue with being moved on. Can't comment on the car crime point, and should clarify that most of these nights have been outside the school holiday/high summer period.

TMM 30 Jul 2018
In reply to GDes:

SE corner from Postbridge down to Avon dam area and across towards Moreton.

Definte increase in activity sadly. Seems to be the small cars parks for one/two cars rather than the more widely used ones. There was a break-in just last week at Emmsworthy gate which is on the road between Haytor and Hound Tor which is really a very conspicuous spot.

I'll try to find some links from local media.

Post edited at 12:44
 Phil79 30 Jul 2018
In reply to GDes:

> Really, whereabouts? Bovey/Haytor area?

I saw on FB someones got car done at Hemsworthy Gate a few weeks back. There was comment that the scrouts are using spotters on tors overlooking road, but no idea if thats true or not... 

In reply to Phil79:

A few years ago when I was in Australia, the car park at nowra became a popular spot for car crime. The police proved unsuccessful in their attempts to catch the culprits. In the end a bunch of climbers good together and his in the bushes. They eventually caught the culprits red handed and have them a "stern talking to". Car crime did decrease there afterwards. Whilst in not suggesting this type of action is right,  I'll give them credit for sorting out the problem.

Footloose 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Take care heading down through too: the same thing is happening in unmanned car parks in the Somerset Levels: I had a window smashed in an RSPB reserve on a Friday afternoon on my way up to Edinburgh Marathon - thanks guys, great ventilation before I finally found someone to fix it in Huntingdon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...