UKC

Oakley sunglasses for mountaineering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So, my girlfriend is sponsored by Oakley so unfortunately she can't just buy julbos. She needs some sunnies for alpinism/ski touring. Does anyone have aby recommendations?

Cheers!

rj_townsend 31 Jul 2018
In reply to Blackcountrybill:

I’d suggest she speak to her sponsors and see what they have to offer.

Dark-Cloud 31 Jul 2018

Don’t be ridiculous, of course she can buy Julbos, especially if Oakley don’t make anything suitable.

Dave the Rave 31 Jul 2018

Welding goggles painted black with a narrow slit cut for vision in each eyepiece. I can send you some for £50 plus p and p. 

ianstevens 31 Jul 2018

> So, my girlfriend is sponsored by Oakley so unfortunately she can't just buy julbos. She needs some sunnies for alpinism/ski touring. Does anyone have aby recommendations?

Don't humblebrag on online forums? They make loads. 

Max Hangs 31 Jul 2018

I'd give these a bash if I was getting a pair for free? I'm sure there are lots of other options in their massive range too. I have used Fives for skiing and they are excellent.

https://uk.oakley.com/en/men/sunglasses/sport-performance/flight-jacket/pro...

Post edited at 21:36
 bouldery bits 01 Aug 2018

Julbos with Oakley stickers on pal.

Hi Blackcountrybill

Not sure about the sponsorship part, I am sure she is fine wearing what she wants, but I can see if she wants to use photo's etc for her profile that may be linked to Oakley that might be an issue.

I live in the Southern French Alps and used to live in Oakley sunglass's wore them climbing, biking, ski touring and just kicking around,really like the lenses and they are fine for 80% of the time, but they do struggle on really bright days on snow, you really need to have a good pair of cat 4 glasses for that and I don't think Oakley do an equivalent.

I stopped using Oakley due to have some issues with breakages and then poor customer service.

I would say take a a pair of Oakley's that give you the best eye cover and then have a pair of these in the bag https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh-570-cat-4-id_8329379.html

Cheers

jam 07 Aug 2018

I've used Cat 4 lenses in Rudy Project cycling glasses up to around 6000m in the sun. The lenses were annoyingly dark so I swapped back to the Cat 3 lenses. Can't see that Oakleys, as long as the were nice dark lenses with good coverage, would be a problem.

I was a bit surprised by this, I am usually sensitive to bright light, but found Cat 4s just too dark for general use at altitude.

The Cat 4 lenses I got from this place: https://www.thesunglassfix.com.au, just swapped them into my existing frames.

Post edited at 01:59
 Merlin 14 Aug 2018

I used my Oakley Gascans in the Alps until the lense delaminated last week I actually replaced them with Julbo (cheaper but less sexy), therefore if your girlfriend wants to get me a replacement pair I’ll happily accept the kind gift... white frames please...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...