UKC

NEWS: County Classics 24 Hour Challenge - A Northumberland Adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Aug 2018
John Haxon and a group of friends have completed what they've coined the 'County Classics 24-Hours Challenge' - climbing as many of the Diff to VS classic Northumberland routes in a 24-hour window. They successfully climbed 18 routes, visiting 6 of Northumberland's major crags.

John sent in a report of their big day out. Who's keen to take it on?

Read more
 Euge 01 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant... Love this Challenge.

Thanks

Euge

Lemony 01 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That's quality. I was wondering the other day that this would make a good challenge for a fit team in a day, the 18 3* HVSs in the county: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=2724

Post edited at 20:25
 Mike-W-99 01 Aug 2018
In reply to Lemony:

Interesting but your ticklist is private

C Witter 01 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That looks great! Well done! I definitely fancy that.

I thought up a similar challenge, in the Silverdale and Arnside AONB, which was 20 VS routes across the area. I imagined cycling between the crags, but a friend and his climbing buddy recently took it on running between the crags!! Here's the list:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=1837

I'd probably swap one or two climbs out, but it feels unfair now they've gone ahead and done them all in a day! I was quite impressed that they made it, just for the miles they covered!

Lemony 02 Aug 2018
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Whoops, fixed!

In reply to UKC News:

Great effort but a name check for 'the group of friends' would be good.

Post edited at 09:06
 John Haxon 02 Aug 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Yeah no worries, the group of climbers consisted of myself, Becky Hetherington, John Lambert, Darren Boak, Tony Shorter, Ian Hope and Graham Bray.

John Haxon 02 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Logbook ticklist for the challenge routes:
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=2639

Smith42 02 Aug 2018
In reply to John Haxon:

Well Done!

You kept that quiet! 

Hmmm, interesting, i like a good endurance challenge.

Post edited at 13:48
 y2keable 03 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I can't help but feel that they could have ticked more off if they'd been more selective about what crags they climb on and how ong they spend there. For instance, Peel Crag has more stared routes than any other crag in Northumberland but they only climbed Sunset. There's also heaps of classics at Bowden Doors and Kyloe yet this is where they spent the minority of their time.

I'd have approached this like a business and applied the 80/20 principle. Identify 20% (or less) of the crags which account for 80% (or more) of the classics and spend the 24 hours climbing only on that 20% crag space.

So if Peel, Bowden Doors and Kyloe make up ?20% of Northumeberland's crags and around 80% of the classics are at those crags, they're the ones to focus on.

Simon Caldwell 03 Aug 2018
In reply to y2keable:

Depends if the ultimate aim was to maximise the number of routes climbed, or have an enjoyable adventure

y2keable 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

They've set themselves a challenge, the article even mentions that they started discussing ways to improve on their strategy if they were to do it again. It’s safe to assume it’s about maximising on the numbers. Enjoyment/adventure it seems, is a by-product.

Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2018
In reply to y2keable:

> I'd have approached this like a business and applied the 80/20 principle.

Really? Whatever for?

y2keable 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Business is all about achieving more and the 80/20 principle is a proven model.

pigeonjim 03 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Is this really climbing news?  A few people climb a few routes. Scrapping the barrel or is our sport becoming that dull? 

Michael Gordon 03 Aug 2018
In reply to pigeonjim:

It's just a fun challenge suitable for any level of climbing ability (except the complete beginner). I agree it isn't news and shouldn't be labelled thus, but that doesn't mean it isn't of interest.

Michael Gordon 03 Aug 2018
In reply to y2keable:

> They've set themselves a challenge, the article even mentions that they started discussing ways to improve on their strategy if they were to do it again. It’s safe to assume it’s about maximising on the numbers. 

Possibly, but often these big link-up challenges are as much about maximising the quantity of venues visited, and often only climbing one or two routes at each venue. They're often as much about variety of climbing and logistics of travel between venues (more so if not using motorised transport) as they are about climbing route after route after route.

Harry4567 03 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Simular to the challenge taken on a few years ago by these fine Gentlemen.

The Stanage Project. Over 100 routes in 24 hours.

http://www.grafhamclimbingclub.com/the-stanage-project-a-mortals-challenge-...

Top job to the Haxon team, 24 hours doing anything is tough and spread over so many crags. No easy challenge. 

Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2018
In reply to y2keable:

Yes well aware of that...ithis is just a fun day out though

BrendanO 04 Aug 2018
In reply to pigeonjim:

> Is this really climbing news?  A few people climb a few routes. Scrapping the barrel or is our sport becoming that dull? 

...Yes, this was news to me!

I read maybe 20% of the News articles on UKC at best. Enjoyed this one (BECAUSE it was fairly ordinary folk doing something I (perhaps) could achieve). Pretty much all UKC news could be described as people climb routes; people win comps; people fall out....in the same way that so many great books and films can be described as "boy meets girl..."

To me, this wasn't dull at all (but I am a punter). And I am all for scrapping barrels - I'm sure a more efficient container can be designed.

michaelb1 04 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I like the list and the choices, but would question the inclusion of the plonka at Corbys. It really isn't worth 3 stars and corbys is pretty sandy and friable these days. Overunder at Corbys is more interesting and safer than plonka, but Corbys isn't great IMHO. Better to concentrate on more solid crags. 

Why not a route at kyloe in for example? Some good ones there in need of a clean!

y2keable 15 Aug 2018
In reply to michaelb1:

"a route at Kyloe-in"

1. Kyloe-in is mostly just bouldering. There are one or two routes but they're far from classics

2. They're only climbing the classics.

3. Like you said, they're in need of a clean.

michaelb1 15 Aug 2018
In reply to y2keable:

Well, the plonka is far from a classic in my view, but it's not my list. 

At Kyloe in I would suggest the flutings direct, a nice rock feature, in the grade range of the list and the top out is still Ok. Similarly Zed climb next to it, which again is a nice rock feature, mild VS I think but it would benefit from a clean at the top. There are some nice routes at kyloe in (crucifix is on my wish list) they just don't get any traffic. 

But as an alternative to the admittedly dirty finishes at kyloe in I would propose straight crack at Back Bowden (another 'bouldering' crag). A superb route with a good hand jam and bold step out, and all for hard severe! Much better then the plonka. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...