UKC

What rucksack are you using to get to crags?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OllieBarker 03 Aug 2018

Just a general question for you all.

I'm looking to purchase a new bag to use when navigating to and from crags. Holding my sport gear (~70m rope) and/or a small trad rack.

So far I'm tempted by the DMM Flight 45L which looks ideal with it's clamshell design and waist straps but I'd be interested to get peoples thoughts on others they'd recommend. I'm not sold on anything yet.

For info I also have a decent 60-70 rucksack I find it to big to use for general days out. I'd also be looking for something I could potentially use as hand luggage on a plane, something the DMM Flight looks to have as an advantage.

knighty 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

I've got a DMM Flight bag and rate it very highly. It's a good size, has good pockets on it and is comfortable.

The only downside that I can think of is that even if you don't fully load it, there is no way to compress the bag down, so it is always at its maximum size. It doesn't bother me though and I would recommend.

johncb 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker: I've been using a rucksack I bought at LIdl for a few quid, I've had it some 10 years now. The one before was also from Lidl. 

GridNorth 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

I have a DMM Flight and love it but it's not what I would use for mountain routes with long approaches,  Somewhat paradoxically I use a smaller sack, typically 30 - 35 litres for carrying bigger trad loads as I don't like all the weight hanging off my shoulders.  I tend to carry the rope separately and when you are climbing most gear is distributed about your person leaving you with hardly anything in the bag. Patagonia Cragsmith for ease of access or an Ascensionist for carrying on route.

Al

OP OllieBarker 03 Aug 2018
In reply to knighty:

Awesome thanks man. Ah crap that's annoying, think that'd be an issue on a flight? I was hoping to make it a little smaller by not fully loading it.

OP OllieBarker 03 Aug 2018
In reply to GridNorth:

Interesting thank you. Do the waist straps on the Flight not take enough wait of your shoulders? Both of those Patagonia bags look rad. Slightly more expensive but solid. The access to compartments on the Cragsmith is awesome. Shame it doesn't come in a brighter colour

Post edited at 10:33
 GwilymR 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

I have the flight and have flown with it loads of times (including at least one trip where I didn’t have hold luggage). It fits perfectly in plane lockers even when filled right to the brim. 

If I have it on my back when going through the airport I never get asked to check it in or prove it fits in the bins. I often where my helmet through the airport and onto the plane as putting that in the helmet flap definitely makes the bag the wrong shape. 

Its a great bag and I’d buy another if I had to. 

GridNorth 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

One of the problems with the Flight is that in order to achieve 45 litres and stay within hand luggage dimensions it has to be fatter than what I would consider "normal" so it sits a little further out on the back than I would like. Indeed this put me off buying one for a while but that turned out to be more about my perceptions than reality. It's brilliant for sport. I've never used it for a long approach so can't really comment other than to say it wouldn't be my first choice for the reasons mentioned previously. In all honesty I can't see it being a huge problem, it is a very good sack and one of the best I've ever owned even with these perceived limitations.

Al

Post edited at 10:42
 Lurking Dave 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Metolious crag station. It’s very, very good.

knighty 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

No problem! I've flown with it numerous times with no problems. I use it as a crag bag for whatever climbing - sport or trad. I find the support to be good.

Iamgregp 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

I've got the DMM flight and think it's excellent, it's so packed with features that you can really see they put a lot of thought into it, wouldn't even consider any other bag having used this one.

Robert Durran 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Huge American100 l + thing I bought second hand from someone on here. Ideal for chucking in everything you might need at the crag including big sea cliff ab rope, kitchen sink etc. Couldn't cope with cramming stuff into anything smaller now for general cragging, but I use something nearer 45 l for Moutain crag days when Wright is an issue.

Post edited at 13:51
 Ramon Marin 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Beware of DMM bags, they fall apart about a years into their use, the Vector the stitches come apart and the supporting fangs come out. On the Flight say goodbye to the zip which is exposed to wear and tear the way its designed.  DMM after sale support is non-existent (they will tell you to fix it with gaffer tape as they did to me). They look lovely out the shop though. I know I'll get slated by the cynics in here but I do recommend the Alpkit bags, specially the Burro for trad, they are bombproof, comfy and really well made here in UK and the repair and after sales is the best I know, my honest opinion.

jezb1 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Black Diamond Creek.

I use mine virtually every day, I love it for crag duties, big, comfy, bomber and great design.

https://www.jbmountainskills.co.uk/news/2018/03/black-diamond-creek-rucksac...

Post edited at 15:08
 MischaHY 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

DMM flight for gym stuff and sport with short walk ins, Lowe Alpine 'Attack' 45+10l for longer approaches or difficult access, or when carrying more kit. The DMM packs are alright for travelling and are nice and accessible but the weight goes entirely on the shoulders so no good for carrying lots of kit. 

The Lowe Alpine is light, very durable and the hip belt system works very well. No complaints. 

yodadave 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

I've a Flight too and really like it.

I've managed to use the helmet flap and rope retainers to give some compression, it works ok.

The load in the main compartment has straps to keep it in place which helps.

I've had mine over two years and can't fault the stitching yet, or the zip. But I am pretty careful with my kit.

I have been challenged on budget airlines but never stopped. and It is a good bag as a carry on.

I also feel it carries way better than it has any right to but I think that I have the right length back for it so I imagine that's subjective.

I've been tempted by the Burro, ascensionist (or descensionist), and the Moon bag whose name I forget. none of them are as good for a carry on in my opinion.

GwilymR 03 Aug 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Mine is at least 3 years old and still works as new and looks very good.

My partner also has one and she did break some stitching. DMM offered a replacement immediately and when she replied saying she’d prefer to get it repaired as the bag was basically fine they took it back and repaired it for free. 

In reply to OllieBarker:

I’ve had a DMM flight for some years and am very happy with it. I can’t be a***d with trad these days, but for sport it’s been all over. Great as carry on for flights, and fine for big walk ins in the Alps.

I’ve  also got an absolutely indestructible Arcteryx Muira 40l which has the best access to stuff inside I’ve ever come across, and is the most comfy. Don’t think you can get hold of one anymore tho.

ps never had any issue with DMM build quality

Rich Ellis 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Alpkit  Ibex  50+10

Kettledrum 03 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker: Moon aerial pack (38l).  Zip down the middle makes for easy access and different combos on the closing clips mean it compresses when more lightly loaded.

flight bag is amazing for carry on luggage though.

Post edited at 23:44
 Dr.S at work 04 Aug 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

The stitching on my Burro blew after almost no use, Alpkit replaced it promptly with their excellent after sales service. Agree it’s an excellent bag to chuck stuff into and what I use for cragging.

John Kelly 04 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Reality is no one rucksack will do, it's generally matching the volume to the activity

Lowe are really good - they make rucksacks, Aiguille worth a look, they also make rucksacks

Randomly berghaus

tom 04 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

BD Stone Duffel 42 - Takes two 50m halves, full trad gear with room for flask, clothes and food.  love the full length zip. 

kevin stephens 04 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker: Crux AK47 is brilliant simple , hard wearing and very effective 

Tony & Sarah 04 Aug 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

or an AK37

Tony

Rog Wilko 05 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

My rucsac uses me to get to crags.

olddirtydoggy 05 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

A cheap 40l back pack. Never felt the need to buy anything fancy for a 10 min walk in. Mountain days however are a very different story.

nikoid 05 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

I have a DMM vector sac at the moment which is ok for the money just don't expect it to last. I had one before which DMM replaced after 18 months after the plastic stiffeners started poking through the fabric. But for 70 quid I'm not grumbling. The sac I had the longest was a Macpac, but made of canvas so quite heavy (and relatively expensive). Pays your money etc,etc...

Ramon Marin 05 Aug 2018
In reply to GwilymR:

that’s definately not the answer i got, they suggested gaffer tape and glue, no mention of repair, exchange or refund. Both the flight and vector are pretty facked after 2 years of use, we use them every weekend mind you. Maybe it was just ours that was a bad batch who knows

OP OllieBarker 06 Aug 2018

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Been a great help. Ended up going with the Patagonia Cragsmith 45L in the end. Was close between that and the Flight, but it'd be useful to have something I could use as a day rucksack if needs be.

bluerockman 07 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Been using a Osprey Mutant 38L for everything from GR20 to cragging and mountaineering.  Its a great bag that has been abused for 5 years or so and looks almost like new.

Occasionally I also use an Ikea bag for life when the walk-ins are short.

ianstevens 08 Aug 2018
In reply to OllieBarker:

Ikea bag. Blue if you pay for it, yellow if you're cool enough to have nicked the "in-store only" one.

Ciderslider 08 Aug 2018
In reply to jezb1:

As a result of your review I’ve got both the 35 and the 50 - I use the 35 for sport and the 50 for everything else - best rucksacks I’ve owned 

also got the arcteryx fl30 which is amazing for multi pitch and goes in the cabin on flights

have had the DMM rucksacks and don’t rate them at all - the flight was ok but the bigger one got a hole in the bottom after not a great deal of use

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...