UKC

NEWS: Piolets d'Or 2018 Announced

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Aug 2018
The recipients of the 2018 Piolets d'Or have been announced. Each year, the Piolets d'Or recognise significant new ascents in mountaineering; taking style, innovation, commitment and respect for both the environment and local people into consideration. No British alpinists are in the line-up this year, but five British ascents from 2017 were recognised in the Significant Ascents list.

Read more
 bensilvestre 08 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

That Nuptse ascent... stands out for me from all the others. Amazing

In reply to bensilvestre:

I think their moustaches stood out pretty well too!

bensilvestre 08 Aug 2018
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

We can only aspire to moustaching standards like those!

Ramon Marin 08 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Looking at the shortlisted you could say British alpinism is truly and well alive! Nice work

bensilvestre 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Ramon Marin:

Just had some pretty exciting news which more than confirms your comment Ramon. Yikes!

Knut R. 09 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Oddly written article. You start with the "also-rans" but only because they have "UK" next to their names, and then drift into the guys who actually won the awards. 

I recognize this is "UKC", but really - should the article not have been "Here are the winners! Also, here are some notable British ascents"...

elliott92 09 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Oddly, my first thought when I saw the title was that Ueli will never get the chance to receive another one. Bit of a punch to the stomach that one 

Damo 10 Aug 2018
In reply to elliott92:

> Oddly, my first thought when I saw the title was that Ueli will never get the chance to receive another one.

He wouldn't have got his last one except his publisher was on the jury. The other members didn't want to give it to him - with good reason.

These three climbs noted above, as well as other recent climbs, are much better representations of alpinism.

Michael Gordon 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Damo:

If you mean the Annapurna ascent (?), I struggle to think of a 'better representation of alpinism'.  

Damo 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Well, you can read the information for yourself: http://www.pioletsdor.net/presse/2017/forum/Annapurna-2013-Steck.pdf

And a related article in French: https://www.pasquer-voyages.com/single-post/Ueli-Steck-est-il-un-imposteur-...

Regardless of what you decide after reading all that, the fact is that, particularly in light of his Shishapangma claim, there were simply too many gaps and contradictions for most of the jury to award him the PdO for Annapurna.

If you truly dig into it, put it all together, and compare it with other ascents and situations, the weight of circumstantial evidence becomes pretty overwhelming, particularly for the Shisha climb - I have no strong personal opinion on the Annapurna climb.

pbla4024 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

I guess you met Benji when climbing at Deversé in 2012. No moustache back then though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...