UKC

INTERVIEW: Perfect Partners #11 - Andy Moles and Ferdia Earle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Aug 2018
Enjoying a beer after flailing up The Rostrum., 3 kbAndy Moles and Ferdia Earle are an enigmatic climbing couple whom you've probably never heard of. Together they have climbed bucketloads of hard(ish) UK trad climbs, oodles of amazing boulder problems and a fair chunk of gnarly Scottish winter routes. The pair have also done more world classics than most people have had hot dinners. Their enviable international CV reads like a post from Duncan Critchley's long running UKB thread, Fairly Long, Moderately Hard and Mostly Free. It includes: Positive Vibrations, The Original Route on Rainbow Wall, The Rostrum, Moonlight Buttress (almost free), Salbitschijen West Ridge, Levitation 29, Primrose Dihedral, République Bananière and Free Blast.

Read more
 Steve Perry 09 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice article, some team!

kwoods 09 Aug 2018

Both ridiculously prolific, both great writers IMO... Nice article!

Ramon Marin 09 Aug 2018

these two are such an inspiration, all that's amazing about climbing

Ally Smith 09 Aug 2018

This is brilliant! I think i ended up in exactly the same place and the memories of that run out came flooding back

"What's the most scared you've been when climbing together?

On The Long Reach on the Etive Slabs many years ago we got off route. I mantled a body length overlap and padded upwards some way before I realised I could no longer move up. Nor could I move back down. I completely froze, stranded in a sea of granite. A fall was unthinkable. It was 20 metres to my last piece of gear and that was below the overlap. I could hear Andy laughing with someone down below, oblivious. A guy drew level with me a few metres away. My eyes must have been pleading with him because all he said was "I'm sorry!" The longer I stood there, the more my legs shook and the more my shoe rubber curled from the crystals – you know the feeling! A finger edge and a cam placement taunted me just out of reach. Eventually, I managed to will myself to make the move. It was meant to be my first E2 – turns out we'd wandered onto a pitch of Angel which was probably about E4 in its own right!"

(E5 5c for sure!)

Elliot Walker 09 Aug 2018

Really great article in an exceptional series. I love reading these.

Misha 09 Aug 2018

Never thought of Ferdia as a Galapagos penguin....

jon 09 Aug 2018

Well done Tom (and Ferdia and Andy of course). Best of the series!

bensilvestre 09 Aug 2018

Great interview with two of my favourite people. Agreed... best of the series

TheGeneralist 10 Aug 2018
In reply to bensilvestre:

Excellent article.

Inspiring.

Full of the joys of living.

Robert Durran 10 Aug 2018

Enjoyed that! 

And I think the people in the world I am most envious of are those who have found the holy grail of perfect life partner and perfect climbing partner in the same person.

Ramon Marin 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Second that! indeed the holy grail

simes303 10 Aug 2018

I really enjoyed that article. The best bit was scrolling down to a picture of my next door neighbours. 

Wicamoi 10 Aug 2018

I'm not so wide-eyed about this holy grail you mention - perhaps because I am not a total climbing obsessive - but nevertheless I am all for this climbing partnership. I have noticed 'Andy Moles' and 'Ferdia' in the UKC logbooks (mainly because they seem to have climbed almost everything that I have climbed or want to climb) and I already believed them to be proper* climbers - this article seems to confirm it.

*I think "proper" here means "the sort of climber I'd want to be if only there were world enough and time" - and if I were good enough.

ferdia 10 Aug 2018
In reply to simes303:

> I really enjoyed that article. The best bit was scrolling down to a picture of my next door neighbours. 

*waves from across the recycling bins* bet you were beginning to wonder what we did with ourselves all day!

Post edited at 23:27
 ferdia 10 Aug 2018

> I think the people in the world I am most envious of are those who have found the holy grail of perfect life partner and perfect climbing partner in the same person.

I'm a bit wary of the word perfect. It implies things just happen to you with no effort required to make it good.

If there had been a question about the pettiest moments, this series would have looked a bit different...! And I reckon Ben-Pete-Uisdean could give us a run for our money there for a start hehe

Post edited at 23:33
 Robert Durran 10 Aug 2018
In reply to ferdia:

> I'm a bit wary of the word perfect. It implies things just happen to you with no effort required to make it good.

I'm not sure about that; the perfect climb requires a lot of effort and is all the more satisfying for it.

ferdia 11 Aug 2018

Yes the analogy of the 'perfect challenge' works here

bensilvestre 11 Aug 2018
In reply to ferdia:

Maybe it should be called 'nearly perfect partners'. Although I'd stand by the statement that Pete is a perfect spoon. Laura is very lucky.

Robert - do you feel like you've climbed a perfect climb? I think i've got close, but not quite. I like to think of perfection as something ultimately unattainable, keeps me striving for more. Not sure what I'd do if I actually found it

Robert Durran 11 Aug 2018

> Robert - do you feel like you've climbed a perfect climb? I think i've got close, but not quite.

Well, off the top of my head, Heaven Crack at Stanage and The Screamer at Reiff come close. And I've also had some near perfect climbing "experiences" such as soloing the Innominata.

I've also once found a near perfect woman (her only imperfection being that she clearly, and understandably, found me somewhat less than perfect........... )

> I like to think of perfection as something ultimately unattainable, keeps me striving for more.

Yep, I keep striving on both fronts!

Tyler 11 Aug 2018

> Well, off the top of my head, Heaven Crack at Stanage 

I obviously don't know you but from what I read from you on here I would never have guessed that in a million years. I looked up the route and was surprised to see I've done it

Post edited at 19:08
In reply to Tyler:

> I obviously don't know you but from what I read from you on here I would have never have guessed that in a million years.

It's so good I once did it three times in about five minutes!

simes303 11 Aug 2018
In reply to ferdia:

> *waves from across the recycling bins* bet you were beginning to wonder what we did with ourselves all day!

I knew you were always out climbing somewhere. Good on you. Life's for having fun and you're doing it. Si. xx

bensilvestre 11 Aug 2018

I would definitely agree that heaven crack comes pretty close. I think the trouble is that every time you get a little bit closer to perfection, the bar is set slightly higher! Its sort of like an experiential brand of infinity. 

Edit: I have also been known to do multiple laps of heaven crack. A good way of getting the most out of it is climbing up and down it repeatedly. I wish it was longer!

Post edited at 22:35
 planetmarshall 11 Aug 2018

> I like to think of perfection as something ultimately unattainable, keeps me striving for more.

Ah, asymptotic perfection. I'd suggest that as a good name for a route but for me it's lacking in sufficient cormorant puns 

In reply to planetmarshall:

> Ah, asymptotic perfection. I'd suggest that as a good name for a route but for me it's lacking in sufficient cormorant puns.

A Cormorant Is About As Close To A Shag As You Can Get

> I would definitely agree that heaven crack comes pretty close. I think the trouble is that every time you get a little bit closer to perfection, the bar is set slightly higher!

I think most of the near perfect routes are really short. A long pitch almost inevitably has a flawed sequence or a long route a slightly forgettable pitch.

planetmarshall 11 Aug 2018

> A Cormorant Is About As Close To A Shag As You Can Get

That's just going off on a tangent.

Misha 12 Aug 2018

All this talk of perfection made me think of this  youtube.com/watch?v=_IDJpB9de3E&

bensilvestre 12 Aug 2018

> A Cormorant Is About As Close To A Shag As You Can Get

Ha!

Andy Moles 13 Aug 2018

The Screamer has one bit where the line is slightly unclear, so Heaven Crack must be the most perfect route. Who'd'a thought? There's a fun feature in that for someone, a complilation of the most flawless midget gems.

Suspension Flake, The Asp, Lorraine...

Robert Durran 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

> The Screamer has one bit where the line is slightly unclear.

Really? Which bit?!

Andy Moles 13 Aug 2018

Got a vague memory of being unsure whether to go up then across or across then up at about 2/3 height. Maybe that makes it even better though.

Robert Durran 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Andy Moles:

> Got a vague memory of being unsure whether to go up then across or across then up at about 2/3 height. Maybe that makes it even better though.

Oh yes, I once went straight up from the cam slot off an undercut jam just for fun rather than right then up. It's a route I can climb over and over again it's just so lovely. Maybe the fact that it can be done in more than one way without any feeling of escapability does make it even better!

mathesar 13 Aug 2018

Great article/enjoyable read. Had the pleasure of meeting/climbing with Andy whilst he was working at glenmore lodge, many moons ago.  To a novice like me, Andy's one handed bowline demonstration still beguiles me.   

bensilvestre 13 Aug 2018

> Maybe the fact that it can be done in more than one way without any feeling of escapability does make it even better!

One of the things that I really like about the route 'unleashing the wild physique' at the cheedale cornice is that I've never seen two people do it in the same way, it rewards neither being tall nor short, and everyone finds it desperate

Edit: whilst being a strong/ inescapable line

Post edited at 15:48
 jon 13 Aug 2018

> Well, off the top of my head, Heaven Crack at Stanage 

You know, apart from the fact that you've done Heaven Crack, and done it more than once, the thing that surprises me most is that you've climbed on Stanage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...