UKC

Fire at the Roaches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 09 Aug 2018

Currently a big fire at the Roaches. No bouldering tonight.

Spreading quite a bit as far as I can see from our house. From the Rock inn to the Meerbrook turn off according to news

marsbar 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Hope it rains soon then

abr1966 09 Aug 2018

I've just come out of the wilkes head and just heard from someone as I was leaving!

bonebag 09 Aug 2018

I was working up there today with a climbing group on Chicken Run. We noticed it about 2pm and yes it did look quite big. By the time we left the roadside parking at 4.30pm it did look to be getting smaller and there were five fire engines there and the police had closed the road.

Sounds like it may not be under full control yet though.

OP Duncan Bourne 09 Aug 2018
In reply to bonebag:

Still burning at the moment

mark s 09 Aug 2018

Roaches is all shut so no climbing there this weekend . All access roads closed 

bonebag 09 Aug 2018

Yes, have seen photos on Facebook and there are now ten fire engines at the scene so still going strong unfortunately.

mark s 09 Aug 2018
In reply to bonebag:

The sky is very orange. There is one fire at the front near 5 clouds and a large area over the back behind doxeys pool. It will get worse over night as firefighting stops in the dark. Will be going all weekend unless it rains 

JimboWizbo 09 Aug 2018
In reply to mark s:

we were on hen cloud tonight, lots of smoke going wherever the wind goes,  visible flames from the road. I hope the forecast is right this time. 

mrphilipoldham 09 Aug 2018
In reply to mark s:

But will Doxey's Pool dry up in the heat? Or will the fireman try and drain it for fighting the fires? 

mark s 09 Aug 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

It won't dry up due to the fire but if there is any water in there it will be used. More than likely a high volume pump will be used from tittesworth. 

Trucks and the water carrier will be shuttling water to improvised dams 

Jim Nevill 09 Aug 2018

Yikes! A group of us are supposed to stay in the Whillans Hut this weekend. Can you suggest how I may keep informed, since we're travelling up from London?

mark s 09 Aug 2018
In reply to Jim Nevill:

chances are you wont be allowed access,the size of it looks like it will be going for a while yet.

try staffs fire twitter or leek post on fb.

JimboWizbo 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Jim Nevill:

check with whoever is managing your booking (mike?)

mrphilipoldham 10 Aug 2018
In reply to mark s:

Yes, thank you. I was joking regards it’s ever presence, even in such times of drought.

Dave Garnett 10 Aug 2018

I was up on the far skyline area until dusk on Thursday night and was struck by how many people were about at Roach End and clearly planning to stay the night.  There were half a dozen camper vans parked by the road and people openly camping by the path up to the trig point.  There were still cars heading up through the gate as I was leaving.

mark s 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I was there and a couple with a girl were going to camp but to be honest listening to them. They sounded like they were very aware of the dry ground and spoke about no naked flames 

I walked past you , I had daughter with me. Didn't realise it was you till said hi and didn't want to stop you from the boulders 

Sam B 10 Aug 2018

Was visible on the skyline from as far away as the Plantation at sunset. Looked really worrying

galpinos 10 Aug 2018
 Dave Garnett 10 Aug 2018
In reply to mark s:

Blimey, sorry Mark, didn't recognise you either!  I was a bit preoccupied.

mark s 10 Aug 2018

Lots of climbers don't know it's me anymore 

Just getting some up to date info of old work mates what's going on. 

All roads shut and ramshaw access is shut due to smoke.

Best advice is don't go to roaches area to climb until incident is closed 

Dave Garnett 10 Aug 2018
In reply to mark s:

Pissing down now, so that might help.

OP Duncan Bourne 10 Aug 2018

I assume (hopefully) that todays downpour has put it out

elliot.baker 10 Aug 2018

Would it have been caused naturally or might it have been arson? If it was natural what would have potentially ignited it?

S Ramsay 10 Aug 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:

There was a comment on FB saying that it was caused by a BBQ, they offered no evidence for this but I would view this as a very likely cause. I have seen people using disposable bbqs around there recently and I wouldn't have thought that it was hot enough yesterday for it to have been natural but am no expert

bonebag 10 Aug 2018

Heavy rain for over an hour today at Teggs Nose near Macclesfield. When we arrived early morning the smoke over on the Roaches was very evident. After the rain no smoke was visible. So hopefully the fire has been well damped down by the rain or even extinguished.

mark s 10 Aug 2018
In reply to elliot.baker:

> Would it have been caused naturally or might it have been arson? If it was natural what would have potentially ignited it?

Without doubt the work of humans.

The fire started in the wood and the wind blew embers and smoke over the ridge which caught the moor. There was no stopping it then. Still got lots of mates in the service and a few have messaged. 

It's all closed yet people are still going up. Wtf is wrong with people? Keep away 

mark s 10 Aug 2018

> Pissing down now, so that might help.

Will help stopping spread a little but won't put it out. It will be too hot

Does anyone have any more up to date information on the fire at the Roaches? 

I'm supposed to be climbing there from Tuesday 14th onwards. Staying in Rockhall Cottage! 

mrphilipoldham 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Jamiewalkerjones:

Local roads around the area still closed as of yesterday evening, and likely to be for another couple of days according to Staffs Fire on twitter. Very grey and a dampness in the air today though so hopefully that'll speed things up! 

mark s 13 Aug 2018

If fund somewhere else to avoid disappointment 

There was still a lot of smoke last night. Although the rain is good. It won't get in deep to the peat. 

I will get an update off my mates who on working on there today 

planetmarshall 13 Aug 2018

You can get regular updates on Twitter from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue

https://twitter.com/StaffsFire

To be honest, In your position I'd be making alternative plans.

Jim Nevill 13 Aug 2018

Duncan, thanks so much for posting about this - I saw it Thursday night when twelve of us were due to travel from London for the weekend, staying in the Whillans hut plus eight being on a guided training day. So with your warning and a bit of supreme crisis planning we relocated to the Eastern Peak and had a good stay, plus the course, plus a lot of enjoyment.

So, once again, thanks. If our paths ever cross I owe you a pint.

Dave Garnett 14 Aug 2018
In reply to Jim Nevill:

> we relocated to the Eastern Peak and had a good stay, plus the course, plus a lot of enjoyment.

Star Cottage?

Jim Nevill 14 Aug 2018

That's right Dave. A very nice acquisition, especially for Londoners!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...