UKC

Norway climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mrbird 10 Aug 2018

Hello,

Heading over to Norway over the next few days in my van for whatever I can manage. Was wondering if it's too late season for Lofoten? I'll have till approx 3rd sept. If so anybody free?

And if Lofoten doesn't look like a good shout can anybody recommend elsewhere? Ideally mountain routes but whatever goes and happy to chase the weather.

Cheers

mutt 10 Aug 2018
In reply to mrbird:

I recall, a few years ago, reading about some amazing climbing venues near Bergen. This ( https://27crags.com/areas/78) might help find it but I think you will not experience any shortage of climbing venues in Norway. It is after-all crafted by Slarty Bartfast for the perfect climbing environment.

Post edited at 11:39
 HeMa 10 Aug 2018
In reply to mrbird:

Lofoten, Kvaloya (Tromso) and Senja (between those two) are still good for climbing.

But it's a long drive, unless you live in Northern Sweden or Finland.

Just for the record, Lofoten and Kvaloya are mainly multipitch rock, not mountain routes (albeit they might climb a mountain.... depends on definitions...). Senja offers more of the latter...

More southern option for multipitch rock are Nissedal, Setesdal (south of Oslo), Uskedal (around Bergen), and Romsdal (south of Trondheim). And naturally about a zillion areas that are not that well known.

For mountain routes southern options are Hemsedel (half way between Oslo-Trondheim) and Hurrungane (western part of Jotunheim, so south for Bergen).

There's stuff like Profileveggen (Recovery Drink, see latest news) and Kjerag even more to the south (close to Stavanger), but other than hearsay I have no personal experience on those...

OP mrbird 10 Aug 2018
In reply to HeMa:

Cheers for the reply. Forecast doesn't look great for Bergen etc now so think I'm going to hear south. 

wbo 10 Aug 2018
In reply to mrbird:You're driving via Denmark?

Well there's a lot - Setesdal is northwest of Oslo, past Nissedal.  You can drive up the middle, past Hurrungane/Jotunheim, or up the coast via More and Romsdal.  The mountains in M and R have large elevation gains, but they aren't very high as they start at sea level - is that what you want?

Do you have a partner to climb with?

yr.no for the weather.  Don't trust foreign (non Norway) sites.  Keep a close eye . it can vary a lot locally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...