UKC

Peaks/crag wild campervan spots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 10 Aug 2018

Me and munchkin have unfortunately become addicted to van life....

Because I have a kid with me we've either used pub stopovers or camp sites. I have the various links to wild camp spots but been nervous to try it. Sometimes we pop out for an eve climb want to stop but only have half a day after so it doesn't warrant cost. 

I'd love some overnight places in the peaks or anywhere near UK crags to use occasionally.

Our van is just a hiace and we pick litter up not drop it. 

philipivan 10 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

I'm interested in the answers as the places I'd pull up with children are different to where I'd stop on my own and what's the point of a camper if you always stay on sites. Where have you stopped in pub car parks in the peak? Obviously Scotland and parts of Wales are going to be fine but a lot of England seems pretty anti camper van these days, they are probably overrun! 

Rog Wilko 10 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

Requests for such info come up occasionally on UKC and the result is usually a deafening silence. You may be able to guess the reason for this if you think about it.

DaveHK 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Requests for such info come up occasionally on UKC and the result is usually a deafening silence. You may be able to guess the reason for this if you think about it.

Or, you could not be patronising and just explain to the OP why you think this is?

mark s 11 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

Which peaks?

OP flopsicle 11 Aug 2018
In reply to mark s:

Hehehe.... 

OP flopsicle 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Everything is contraversial on here - but there are some good folk about who master the art of pm. 

deepsoup 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

On the subject of wild camping spots, bothies and the like, a deafening silence on the forum to be sure.  I doubt I'm the only one who makes the odd suggestion by email from time to time though.

Asking about a camper van is another thing though really, truth is you can park overnight pretty much anywhere it's not specifically prohibited.  Avoid the P&D car parks and the honeypots, and stay out of sight of anyone's front room window and pretty much any layby is fair game for a single night.  Especially if you arrive late and leave early, though I guess having a munchkin in tow makes 'late' a relative concept unless you can still drive after bedtime.

Rog Wilko 11 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

I didn't mean to come over as either patronising or unfriendly, so sorry if I failed in either respect. 

Lots of people may be reading this thread and it's all too likely that there will be several also looking for what you are. One odd van overnighting occasionally in a quiet isolated location rarely causes offence. Several vans at once or one frequently is a different matter. This is why I (and I suspect others) never respond to such requests. You just need to be prepared to explore the quiet and deserted areas to find your own spots. Good hunting!

Coel Hellier 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Agreed.  The Peak is a busy and well-populated area.  If any "wild campervan spots" are mentioned on a public and popular forum, they are likely to become over-used and start annoying the landowner/locals. 

You might get away with occasional wild campervanning if you do it unobtrusively and avoid anywhere mentioned on UKC.    

But patronising one of the many camping sites is better practice. 

Rog Wilko 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Your comments are spot on, except

> But patronising one of the many camping sites is better practice. 

Maybe this is true but there are people, like us, who really want to be on our own. We have all we need in the van and don't want company or to pay for facilities we don't need. On top of that we think many campsites charge excessively for a van  -  call me mean, but I feel 25 quid to park my van overnight is too much. One answer in areas with few good lonely spots is to join the Caravan & Motorhome Club so you can use their certificated sites which have a max of 5 vans and are often little more thana place to park and a place to empty the toilet cassette and charge as little as £5.

Not wishing to adopt the moral high ground, but we will never overnight within sight of anyone's house, and this, coupled with the need to get off the road means that on plenty of occasions we have to compromise and go on a site. Large areas of the UK don't really have any suitable lonely spots, and quite honestly the Peak (singular) is quite limited in this respect.

My advice to the O P (sorry if she doesn't want it) is to always have the OS 1:50,000 map and seek out minor roads crossing moorland and preferably carrying the unfenced symbol. That is always the best bet, and you have the satisfaction of finding your own special place. 

Post edited at 18:56
 heleno 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> One answer in areas with few good lonely spots is to join the Caravan & Motorhome Club so you can use their certificated sites which have a max of 5 vans and are often little more thana place to park and a place to empty the toilet cassette and charge as little as £5.

Another vote for this (or the similar Camping and Caravan Club).  The simplicity and nature of wild camping, but for a just a few quid you're not getting in anyone's way and are giving back to the area you're visiting.

Tom Valentine 12 Aug 2018
In reply to heleno:

Totally sensible. I did it for a few years.

Problem is that people who want the kudos of "wild camping" in a wheeled tent will see this as a sell out destroying their road credibility. Either that or they're tight bastards.

Rog Wilko 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> ....... people who want the kudos of "wild camping" in a wheeled tent will see this as a sell out destroying their road credibility. 

What utter twaddle.

Tom Valentine 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well for some reason or other they prefer telling people they've been wild camping on four wheels to paying for a limited facility commercial site. If you know their reasoning better than I do, spell it out.

Babika 13 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

At two different spots in the peak this weekend I spent a bit of time clearing up a load of fire detritus - charcoal, twigs and all sorts. Laybys often seem to be smelly with urine or worse and lots of paper blowing around. 

The whole van/wild camping thing sounds lovely but sadly seems to be growing and abused (I'm not suggesting by you). In NW Scotland in May I was astonished that every layby seemed to be crowded with huge white vans. 

Proper sites and paying for them seems a much more environmental approach if you want to stay in a metal tent.  

baron 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Babika:

There are numerous internet sites for those interested in ‘wild camping’.

These seem to encourage people to park in places that most would struggle to describe as wild.

The antics of some of those on these sites has led me, a van owner of many years, to unsubscribe from said sites.

The problem of litter, fires and human waste will only get worse as more people pursue this method of camping.

Rog Wilko 13 Aug 2018
In reply to baron:

> The problem of litter, fires and human waste will only get worse as more people pursue this method of camping.

As usual it's the irresponsible few (if that's what it is) who cause problems. As the OP suggested, many of us habitually pick up the litter left by others when we stop somewhere overnight. We also have a toilet in the van which we empty responsibly and would never dream of lighting a fire or leaving the remains of a barbecue. It's at badly behaved people of any stripe that you  should direct you ire, rather than pick on those who like to  use a particular mode of transport/overnight accommodation. 

Edit: sorry, I realise that you weren't getting at me/us even if others were.

Post edited at 17:56
 Rog Wilko 13 Aug 2018

Speaking for myself the main reason for offsite overnighting is to spend the night in a beautiful and lonely place, though I can't deny that my presence may make it less beautiful and less lonely. But then that's tourism for you. We could all stay at home I suppose. I don't object to paying reasonable fees for a campsite, though I don't like being fleeced.

simes303 13 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

We have found this to be very useful:

http://www.britstops.com/aboutbritstops.php

baron 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Sorry, I wasn't aiming my anger at those who understand the etiquette of wild camping.

I was really saddened to see the mess left by fellow motor homers on a recent tour of Scotland and, as I stated in my original post, there are certain internet sites that do nothing to discourage what I would consider outrageous behaviour.

As with many things which become popular, the increase in van ownership and the pursuit of a certain 'lifestyle' seem to be destroying what many seek to enjoy.

Things haven't been the same since the new age travellers but I don't think that I can blame them for all of the present problems.

In reply to flopsicle:

A growing number of pubs, hotels and restaurants will let you overnight in their car park on the condition you buy a few drinks and or a meal. They often have accessible toilets too. 

A good cure for the ills of "wild" van camping,and it helps keep rural pubs in business for us all to enjoy. 

Tom Valentine 14 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I know exactly what you mean. Best night in my little van was in Galloway where I'd paid at the farm and driven another half mile to the camping ground overlooking the bay.

Had it to myself in complete seclusion and quiet (apart from the Navy testing missiles and Gatling guns around the bedtime hour)

Rog Wilko 14 Aug 2018

I know that place, even if I can't remember its name. Lovely peaceful spot, in the off season anyway.

Tom Valentine 14 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Just checked. It was called Solway View and to be fair to the lady, she did warn me about the firework display. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...