UKC

Headtorch and AAA car battery chargers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 10 Aug 2018

Evening all. My Petzl Tikka XP always seems to be dim these days, my phone torch is way way brighter (and it's a cheap phone).

So, is it worth replacing headtorch? Can anyone recommend a bright but basic / cheapish one that doesn't have a battery pack on the back of your head (I prefer small portable ones).

Also, was gonna replace my battery charger but it's near impossible to find a charger that you can charge AAA and AA batteries from your car. Can anyone recommend one of these?

Thanks

Frank

Jenny C 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I run mine on the petzl core battery. Not cheap but recharges of USB so works great with the car. Also like the fact you can take the battery out to swap back to disposables so you can carry spares. 

James_Kendal 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Get a USB-rechargeable one, then you can charge it anywhere, in the car or from a battery pack.

There aren't many in the cheap price bracket, but have a look at the Black Diamond Iota. Disclaimer, I don't have this one, I went for a Petzl Reactik+ which is more expensive.

Sean_J 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

What you need is one of these - it even comes supplied with a suitable cable for in-car charging:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/efan-x4-4-bay-lcd-intelligent-universal-m...

The 12V socket on cars can output far more power than a USB socket can, so it's a better choice for faster charging. You can feed power in to the charger with a set of solar panels too.

For an LED headtorch, look at LED Lenser (I have their SEO3 headtorch) - not overpriced like Petzl/BD models, and better quality too i'd say. Light output is superb, comparable to a much more expensive Petzl/BD model.

DancingOnRock 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

Hahnel make universal chargers that will change from mains or 12v lighter socket. 

I found that AAA don’t seem to charge as well after a few charge cycles. Although I can’t say how many as I keep my kit for years and only replace it as a last resort. 

Smythson 11 Aug 2018
In reply to Frankie boy:

I've got duracell 12v to mains and their 12v charger. Both work well and are inexpensive. 

Use a Petzl tikka plus that I've had for many years and it's yet to fail me even in the most character building of conditions. 

Check out eneloop rechargeable batteries. The standard ones can be charged more often than the professional ones but the professional ones do have a better discharge arc. If you get the newer chipped Petzl torches they don't require the steady voltage of old and will continue to function (only slightly dimmer) towards the end of the battery discharge. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...