UKC

My friends have all gone off climbing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 12 Aug 2018

The friends I started climbing with have lost interest, they come out every few weeks for the sake of it but have gone off trad, and leading, and will just do 2 or 3 top rope routes and then leave or lie down, so they can say they still like 'climbing' - some of them have ended up with more energy sapping jobs and just do nothing after work yet want to 'relax' on the weekends. 

My ex was as mad for it as me but we don't really get on any more. 

My climbing friends are just that, we don't really have a relationship outside of organised climbs. And it's usually meet at the crag and separate at the crag. Plus the majority want to stick to safe routes with a thousands log entries whereas I love the esoteric.

My non climbing friends just stay on the same city streets, go to the same pubs or have bbq's in the same parks with zero sense of adventure, stuff I'm not interested in, and when things are going on, it's assumed i'm on some climbing trip so I'm never alerted.

Has anyone else ever found themselves in this position? What's the best way to move forward, I meet new climbers all the time but it rarely leaves the crag-only friendship realm. I'm not the most social of people but I need friends like everyone else!

bouldery bits 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Donotello:

Fell running and bouldering pal. Get down the wall and meet people. Use the partners section on here. Read Nick Bullock's 'Tides' (I recently finished this book) and note the vast range of partners he has climbed with. Climbing relationships come and go. Keep the psyche!

BB 

andyman666999 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Donotello:

Could try joining a club - eg peak climbing club. Decent overlap of Climbing and social - loads of trips too !

Timmd 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Donotello:

It can't hurt to ask your none climbing friends to alert you about things which are going on, it's always nice to be thought about. 

Post edited at 22:48
Removed User 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Timmd:

All my old partners have croaked it and i don't mean from climbing accidents !!!!   Or can't walk due to new hip's/ knee's heart bypass ect

Baron Weasel 12 Aug 2018
In reply to Donotello:

Be proactive with climbers you meet and suggest going to x, y, z crag and then a pint or two after. My main climbing partner for many years has to be dragged out these days so I've nurtured some more people to climb with this year and it's been great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...