UKC

Full body harness for climbing while pregnant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BobbyH 15 Aug 2018

Having already ditched bouldering for top-roped sport climbing, and gone up a harness size due to bump, Mrs H would like to keep climbing a little while longer and it looks like a full-body harness may be needed fairly soon.

So, does anybody have any experience of, or recommendations for harnesses that account for a 5+ month bump?

Or maybe even have one they'd care to part with?

Cheers

HeMa 15 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

There's one that my wife used during the pregnancy for both our kids, it's the Mad Rock Mountain Mama Harness ( https://madrock.com/collections/harnesses/products/mountain-mama-harness ). In fact she was climbing a few weeks before delivery on both accounts.  It's designed specifically for pregnant ladies. Spendy though, but comfy (even for blokes).

That said, a lot of our friends have used the reg. full body harnesses from Singing Rock or Petzl. 

But that said, if your wife's small (say 160 or smaller), the reg. harnesses just didn't sit all that well, unlike the Mad Rock one.

Nick Saunders 15 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

Potentially good timing - your post reminded me that I have been meaning to advertise my wife's (lightly used) pregnancy harness for a while. It is a Petzl 8003 (https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Sport/Harnesses/8003), size 2 (M-XL). I cannot speak from personal experience regarding comfort, but it seemed to work well and she definitely used it (top roping only) until pretty late on (7/8 months as I recall). Happy to sell if this is of interest. Let me know if you want any pictures or further details.

Nick

OP BobbyH 15 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

Thanks both. Sounds like we're going to have to find some to try on. The mountain mama one does sound good, but yeah - bit pricey, and also hard to get hold of in the UK it seems.

Mrs H is but a wee thing at 5'4, so i'd have guessed at her fitting the size 1 Petzl, but if it turns out otherwise I might well give you a shout Nick, thanks!

jalien 15 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

My other half is wee too, and tried the petzl size 1, but couldn't get it to fit comfortably - the webbing between the legs was too unforgiving when sitting in the harness. Suggest trying to get a padded one. On the upside, they hold their resale value well

HeMa 16 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

> Thanks both. Sounds like we're going to have to find some to try on. The mountain mama one does sound good, but yeah - bit pricey, and also hard to get hold of in the UK it seems.

I ended up ordering from the states. But as is mentioned, I later sold them for about half of the price. So I'd call it good.

> Mrs H is but a wee thing at 5'4

Definately have her try all the options available. At her size, the Mountain Mama will definately fit and be comfy, reg. ones might not. Biggest problem with reg. body harnesses is that they don't take into account the belly... Especially so on those that are smaller.

In reply to BobbyH:

I'd suggest the 8003 harness by Petzl in a size 1! https://www.urbanrock.com/petzl-8003-full-body-harness/ 

PM 16 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

In case you’ve not seen it, someone’s selling a Mountain Mama one for £20.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/for_sale+wanted/mountain_mama_pregnancy_c...

Dave the Rave 16 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

Would baby really like to endure a fall onto a harness? Might as well take up fags too? 

In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Would baby really like to endure a fall onto a harness? Might as well take up fags too? 

A full body harness puts pressure on the back and legs, no pressure put on the front of the body at all.

No problem whatsever top roping when pregnant.

Maybe delve a little deeper before posting shite.

0153453 16 Aug 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

We got one from screwfix, due to nowhere stocking full body harnesses and relatively short notice. Made to the same standard as far as I could hastily research and had padding around the back. My wife found it very comfortable, and didn't bother her when weighted. Can't fault it, except the weight difference. It was about £30-£40 compared to climbing ones around £70 if i remember correctly. Might be worth a look, if a little out of the box.

Matt

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> A full body harness puts pressure on the back and legs, no pressure put on the front of the body at all.

> No problem whatsever top roping when pregnant.

> Maybe delve a little deeper before posting shite.

There’s no sudden shock to the body in the event of a fall? Your back and legs aren’t separate from your abdomen. The shock will go all through your body. I doubt it’s wise to advocate this type of harness’ safety.

La benya 16 Aug 2018

Shut up Dave. 

'sudden shock to the body' - obviously not when top roping,

As above - Shut up Dave.

In reply to La benya:

> Shut up Dave. 

Ok. Boo hoo. Y wipe

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> 'sudden shock to the body' - obviously not when top roping,

> As above - Shut up Dave.

Yawn. Y wipe

PM 16 Aug 2018

I guess that maybe, just maybe, a pregnant climber's going to have an unusually attentive belayer, and not exactly be lobbing off any leads after skipping a few clips. Flopping onto a tight top-rope in a preggers-specific harness is likely much safer for the bump than something more high-risk and unpredictable... like walking down a flight of stairs.

The 'sudden shock to the body' (and more specifically the kiddo) is probably greater when slumping into a sofa, given likely distances travelled and deceleration forces involved.

I think if I'm following your logic fully, that we should all get brain damage every time we fall (and are presumably, stopped by a dynamic rope) while climbing. Our heads are, after all, attached one way or another to our legs, abdomen and back. The shock, as you say, goes all through our body, including our brains. Luckily the brain is nicely contained in a bag of juice, so it's nicely isolated from such shocks (and worse). My understanding is that before they hatch out, small humans also inhabit a bag of juice, so I guess possibly the protective mechanisms involved are similar to the ones which ensure we're not (routinely) brain damaged by everyday top-rope falls.

The original poster already said they're using it for top-roping. I'm having difficulty visualising a top-roping set-up where there are significant sudden shocks reverberating through the body.

I think for the situations which everyone else above seems to understand they're intended for, these kinds of harnesses are pretty obviously perfectly safe for all parties involved. I'm not questioning that they could definitely be misused for doing much less safe/probably unsafe things (E-grade trad leads?), but don't agree at all with your conclusion that they are by definition unsafe.

HeMa 17 Aug 2018

Each to their own... But Dave, your name seems to imply that you haven't given birth, nor will you ever. So you really don't know what you're talkin' about.

* for the record, neither have I given birth. But fathered two kids and also climbed extensively with my wife during both pregnancies. And yes, she also had words with docs and friends that had already kids.

So in short, shot up, don't speculate on things you don't know.

OP BobbyH 17 Aug 2018
In reply to PM:

Good spot, thanks!

PM 17 Aug 2018
In reply to HeMa:

> So in short, shot up, don't speculate on things you don't know.

And, just for balance, I also don't agree that the repeated 'shut up' is a useful or necessary response here.

Surely one of the definitions of speculation is talking about things you don't know about, as a starting point or step along the way to finding out more? If people's reaction is "Shut up you idiot you don't knoooow!!", it pretty much shuts the door to ever arriving at a happy, informed: "OK, I see what you're saying now, thanks", which could be the outcome of some (initially perhaps not best-informed) speculation. Probably not this time though!

Post edited at 14:43
frills 07 Sep 2018
In reply to BobbyH:

If anyone else is selling either the Petzel or mountain mumma harnesses please let me know

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...