UKC

quick Pembroke questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Wakeham 15 Aug 2018

I've not been to Pembroke for years, and my guidebook is somewhat out of date.  Can I just check:

1) Access to Range East doesn't require attending one of the briefings, and as long as they are not firing you're good to go?  As far as I can see they're saying it should be fine this coming Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon?

2) There are plenty of accessible routes at, say, Saddle Head, Stennis Head and Flimston Bay, even when (as for this weekend) the tides are completely against you?

Mowglee 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

Correct on both counts there I believe. I've not climbed at Flimston though.

Post edited at 15:48
 Luke90 15 Aug 2018

Yep, no briefing needed for Range East and no firing throughout August.

Easy to access plenty of routes at Stennis Head and Saddle Head at high tide. Flimston Slab would just require setting up a belay on a convenient ledge above the tide, but I get the impression that would be necessary at most states of the tide. Never saw it low enough yesterday that I would have been happy going to the bottom. Don't know about the rest of Flimston Bay, I've only got the selective guide.

OP Jamie Wakeham 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Great - thanks, both. We're thinking to spend most of our time at Saddle and Stennis Heads; Flimston will probably only come into play if we exhaust them at our grade.  Might try to get hold of an up to date guide now I'm sure we're going...

Rigid Raider 15 Aug 2018

Pembroke was my favourite place to climb, ever, and I climbed in a few around the UK. I loved the sunny dry grippy rock and amazing locations. 

Luke90 15 Aug 2018

I'd recommend the Climber's Club selective guide over the Rockfax.

John2 15 Aug 2018

There will be no firing on Range East throughout the month of August.

Crickmail,B team non tidal too but a little further to walk.

> I've not been to Pembroke for years, and my guidebook is somewhat out of date.  

For what you want at the places mentioned you old guide will be perfectly adequate. No need to buy another unless you prefer to look at photo guides.

knighty 15 Aug 2018

I can thoroughly recommend all 3 climbs on Bow Shaped Slab. Utterly brilliant climbing.

OP Jamie Wakeham 15 Aug 2018

Cheers, all.  Any tips for non-tidal crags in the North of Pembrokeshire with good Sev-VS routes, in case we feel like a change?

Offwidth 16 Aug 2018

Craig Coetan upper tier has a few starred two pitch S to VS lines. Various slabs south of St Davids have some routes accesible at or near high tide, especially given the tidal range is dropping. May even see you there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...