UKC

First half ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RJP 16 Aug 2018

Hi

I currently one a single 10mm 30 metre for indoor wall use, 50m single for outdoor general use and alpine etc.  I have regularly used a variety of friends' half ropes with them and now it's really time that I got some for myself.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for half ropes to be used in alpine, winter, trad and the occasional sport routes?

Thanks!

d_b 16 Aug 2018
In reply to RJP:

The Mammut Genesis 8.5mm is a good all rounder.  Dry treated, hard wearing and fairly pleasant to work with.

PaulW 16 Aug 2018
In reply to RJP:

Consider what length you want. 50m would be standard for UK trad, 60m might be more use for alpine / winter stuff

Tony Jones 16 Aug 2018
In reply to RJP:

I bought a pair of Mammut Genesis 8.5mm 60m dry treated half ropes a while ago intending to use them for everything but they are heavy to cart around (I often travel down to Wales from Cumbria on the train with everything packed into a rucksack or holdall). My back has improved since I got a pair of Mammut Classic 8mm 50m half ropes which are so much lighter to travel with and incidentally cost the same for a pair as one Genesis rope. They are one trick ponies however as they're not dry treated and also they're so skinny I decided I needed to use something other than my trusty bug to belay them with. They're also super supple compared with the Genesis ropes.

If you need all-rounders I guess the Genesis is the rope to go for but I really like the 50m Classics for trad cragging.

d_b 16 Aug 2018
In reply to PaulW:

The extra 10m is a godsend in winter, especially on the kind of low end snow gullies I find myself climbing.  Many low end scottish winter routes consist of technically easy ground with a long way between runners & belays.

d_b 16 Aug 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

Now that looks as though a pair could rival my skinny single for alpine routes.  Any idea about longevity?

I never did get icelnes as the ones my friends had seemed to wear out instantly.

Post edited at 20:42
 Tony Jones 16 Aug 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

I should correct my post: I was referring to Mammut Phoenix Classic 8mm ropes.

John Kelly 17 Aug 2018
In reply to d_b:

> Any idea about longevity?

Tough as old boots

Post edited at 06:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...