UKC

Rechargeable head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattsccm 17 Aug 2018

Can anyone suggest a head torch that holds removeable rechargeable batteries but not the AAA or AA type. Ideally one of those little stubby things about the size of a finger joint. RCR123A I believe. Never had a built in rechargeable that lasts more than a couple of years. Got bike lights like this and they are great.

Dell 17 Aug 2018
In reply to mattsccm:

It's a bit niche. 

https://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches/13596-Fenix-HM...

Or look at the Surefire range. 

PM 17 Aug 2018
In reply to mattsccm:

I think you might be able to get the same effect (rechargeable batteries that last longer than a couple of years) with some Lithium-Ion AA or AAAs. Not exactly what you asked for obviously, but might open up some more options. Li-Ion AA/AAAs are hard to come by, but definitely appear to be available online. Li-Ion are a bit more sensitive about how they are charged, so you'd also need to buy a specific charger for them.

A 'normal' AA/AAA rechargeable is often Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiHM). These generally seem to behave as you describe: losing their ability to hold a charge after a while.

SouthernSteve 17 Aug 2018
In reply to mattsccm:

What's wrong with the Petzl range and their dedicated batteries. We have two torches and 4 batteries and have never had a problem - now well over 2 years old.

Ridge 17 Aug 2018
In reply to mattsccm:

> Can anyone suggest a head torch that holds removeable rechargeable batteries but not the AAA or AA type. Ideally one of those little stubby things about the size of a finger joint. RCR123A I believe. Never had a built in rechargeable that lasts more than a couple of years. Got bike lights like this and they are great.

A single CR123 rechargeable linits you to the option in Dell's post.

If you went for the 18650 battery (same length as 2 x CR123s) you'd get something much more useful in terms of output and burn time. 18650s have a very high output in terms of mAh.

I have a fenix hand torch running that type of battery and it's had a lot of use over a couple of years with no issues. Very bright and good burn time. Fenix do a headtorch version at about £75. It'll be solid and reliable.

BUT:

18650s are heavy, and because they're used by the vaping fraternity & have a fair bit of power, cheap versions that will burn your house to the ground are all over the place. A decent battery and mains charger from a reputable supplier will knock you back another £40. Plus it's another bit of stuff to clutter up the house.

As someone else posted, why not get a petzl or led lenser that charges off usb?

shaymarriott 17 Aug 2018
In reply to mattsccm:

LedLenser SE07r.

Rechargeable battery pack included, also takes AAAs if need be - useful in an emergency or if youre away from a plug socket for a while... Replacement battery costs about a tenner - mine lasted for nearly 3 years before I replaced it. Pretty water resistant at IPx6. Auto-dimming setting too which is good.  Lightweight too, as the battery and lamp unit are one, as opposed to an external battery pack. 

OP mattsccm 18 Aug 2018
In reply to shaymarriott:

Didn't think of the 18650. Good idea.

AAA rechargeables never last very long in use and you need 4 or 6 of them.  Fixed batteries inevitably die thereby creating a useless torch. Tried all these options with bike lights over the years and the only things that are not disposable are those with removable batteries. 1 is easier to charge than 3 as well. Ta

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...