UKC

Redhythe Point, Aberdeenshire at risk...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iainpowell 19 Aug 2018

Redhythe Point

Hello,

It seems Redhythe Point near Portsoy is at potential risk from offshore development. I have received the below information from a friend who lives locally and who is also one of the people who developed the crag in the late 90's. Redhythe is a great friendly venue and it would be a shame if access was to become restricted. In the text below there is contact information to express any concern, however, the dead line for this is only a few days away on Tuesday the 21st of August.

Many thanks,

Iain. 

"Moray Offshore (West) Ltd. have permission to build offshore wind turbines in the Moray Firth.  The are now applying for planning permission to bring onshore cables to connect to the national grid.  The area they propose to make landfall is between Sandend bay and Redhythe Point.  The Redhythe Point area is a longstanding climbing venue.  There might be a risk to the physical integrity of the cliffs; potentially a risk to climbers following any of the 60+ routes there; and possible restriction of access during construction and maintenance of the site.  The company has conducted an Environmental Impact Assessment in relation to their proposals but this makes no reference to climbing activity; neither have they contacted any of the national governing bodies to discuss their plans.

Clearly it would be preferable if the company carried out an impact assessment, shared this with the climbing community and, if necessary, a risk management / access plan agreed with us.  Should you wish to bring this unacceptable situation to the attention of Scottish Ministers, responses to the company's planning application can be made to moray-west.representations@gov.scot,  or by post to The Scottish Government, Marine Scotland Licensing Operations Team, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, identifying the proposed development and specifying grounds for objection or support, not later than Tuesday 21st August 2018. The Scottish Ministers may consider representations received after this date. Representations should be dated and should clearly state the name (in block capitals) and the full return email or postal address of those making representation.  You may wish to use the following text:

To whom it may concern,

I wish to bring to your attention the fact that the area in which Moray Offshore (West) Ltd. propose to make landfall for cables includes the climbing venue at Redhythe Point.  I understand that the Environmental Impact Assessment undertaken by the company makes no reference to any potential risk to the integrity of the sea cliff as a result of construction work.; the risk to climbers visiting the climbing area due to changes in the structure of the rock; and the potential restrictions on access during the construction and future maintenance phases.  It is unacceptable that the company has neglected to address these issues.  I strongly recommend that any progress of the company's application is made subject to a full impact assessment being undertaken with respect to both the potential adverse impact on the sea cliffs and danger to climbers."

danm 19 Aug 2018
In reply to iainpowell:

Might be worth letting MS know?

OP iainpowell 19 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

Cheers. My friend has already been in contact with them. They were unaware thattthis was going on. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...