UKC

Rock fall Raven Crag Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kelly 20 Aug 2018

Raven Crag (Langdale)

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/c.php?i=195838

The split blocks descent from Raven crag butress has lost a big block and an oak tree, doesn't look very climbable at moment. The block dropped between Revelation and Bilberry butress, revelation looks climbable, think Bilberry might have debris, scree below has some very big perched blocks. 

Post edited at 21:51
 Rog Wilko 20 Aug 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

I hope it's not the block you scramble down the back of.

danm 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

There's an abseil descent into the gully now isn't there, so you don't have to do the scramble?

OP John Kelly 20 Aug 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

the very same, noticed a loose block in bottom of gully between about 6 months ago, combination of erosion, drought and heavy rain maybe - pic below

https://www.facebook.com/NTLakescampsites/photos/a.211203592234751/19711105...

Post edited at 22:19
 Rick Graham 21 Aug 2018
In reply to danm:

> There's an abseil descent into the gully now isn't there, so you don't have to do the scramble?

There was a sling and maillon on a poor thread above and right of the finish of Muscle Crack the other year. This was taken off because it was considered too hollow.

Hopefully something more useable and secure has been found.

danm 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Rick Graham:

Hi Rick. Someone from the BMC Lakes area sorted an abseil point out sometime in the last few weeks, not sure of the exact details but I think it enables an abseil down the gully which the old descent path contours into. Hopefully someone with better info than my third hand knowledge will pipe up with more details. I've no idea how good this new descent option is myself.

The local BMC began looking into alternative descent routes after a(nother) fatality earlier this year. Someone in the know sent me the following:

"The top of the abseil is above the gully which ends at the right hand end of the red line in the rock fall picture. There is a large pinnacle of rock at the top of this gully which is the anchor point. At the moment this is a rope anchor but should be replaced at some point with a steel cable."

In reply to John Kelly:

BTW, any more news about Castle Rock (Triermain)?

In reply to John Kelly:

I was hoping to do Savernake when I visit in September as it was the first ever climb I did 46 years ago. Is it affected by this fall - it looks to me that its line is to the right of the damage but possibly threatened by loose rock above?

danm 21 Aug 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Hard to tell, looking at my guidebook it looks like Savernake lands you onto the area where the tree and block once were. It looks like you come in from the left, so it may be possible to skirt the danger zone, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I think that the area that has collapsed may be the final short split blocks pitch of Savernake so you may be out of luck.

OP John Kelly 21 Aug 2018

Think pitch 3, from the shared belay Savernake, Pluto, Billberry butress, was in fall zone.

Rog Wilko 22 Aug 2018
In reply to John Kelly:

For further detailed information and advice on using the crag see the following:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/more_on_raven_crag_rockfall-6915...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...