UKC

Is it time to bring back a Lyme disease vaccine?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 Aug 2018

I wasn't aware there ever had been one but I wonder if this might be something worth looking at?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/is-it-time-to-bring-back-the-lyme-disease-vac...

JLS 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Removed User:

What made LYMErix unique was that it worked not by triggering antibodies in vaccine recipients, but by neutralizing the disease-causing bacteria within the tick itself.

That's kinda intresting. Recent reports suggest that the new version is close to being sold here in the UK. I'd certainly be intrested as catching Lymes scares the b'jesus out of me. Though the unusual way it works does generate a bit of doubt in me.

Tony Jones 21 Aug 2018
In reply to JLS:

One thing that puzzles me is that, when one considers how widespread Lyme-carrying ticks are, why numbers of people showing symptoms of Lyme disease aren't higher. Is it possible some folk don't go on to develop the full range of symptoms and aren't even aware they've had Lyme disease? I'm sure many on here are much better informed than I am - I'd be interested in hearing their views.

cander 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Would it work for dogs too?

Tringa 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

I think the factors involved are the proportion of ticks carrying Lyme disease, the proportion of infected ticks that, when feeding on us, transmit the disease and the reaction of the individual to the Lyme disease agent, the number of people visiting areas with a high incidence of ticks

I think you are correct that not everyone who is infected goes on to develop the disease either, at all, or to the full extent of infection.

The abstract here  https://academic.oup.com/rheumatology/article-abstract/33/2/123/1772700   is interesting.

It is from an old study and the sample of workers in Richmond and Bushey parks is small (44) but I found it surprising that only 23% reported tick bites. I would have thought it would have been much higher, but perhaps ticks were less common in 1994. Also interesting that only 3 had symptoms compatible with Lyme disease but 10 had raised levels of antibodies.

This  https://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/local-news/deadly-blood-sucking-tick-f...  is more recent but indicates the very low incidence of infected ticks in the two parks.

It would be interesting to repeat the 1994 study in Richmond and Bushey parks now.

Although Lyme disease can be very serous I think the chances of contracting it are low if you are careful, take precautions and check yourself after visiting tick areas. I have lost count of the number of ticks I have removed from me in the last 15 years or so. The only change I have seen is the ticks that hitch a ride now are tiny compared to those from years ago.

Dave

dsh 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Tringa:

> The only change I have seen is the ticks that hitch a ride now are tiny compared to those from years ago.

The deer (sheep) ticks are the tiny ones that transmit Lyme and other nasties. The larger dog tick does not.

Missed most of the summer having Lyme disease and Bebisosis. Don't get complacent.

Post edited at 14:42
Removed User 21 Aug 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

I think that part of the problem lies with the way Lyme disease works. I have a friend who was part of a research team looking at the disease and his description of it is quite scary. I'm not going to be that good at replicating his research here but I think that the main point is that it doesn't work like other bacterial infections, that it works more like a virus and has the ability to "hide" but also to "re-invent" itself when faced with anti-body attack. I don't think you can quote me on any of this as I'm trying to remember the conversation but I think this is the jist of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...