UKC

REVIEW: Petzl OUISTITI Kid's Harness & PICCHU Helmet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 21 Aug 2018
Trying out the OUISTITI at Benny Beg , 5 kbNeither are light, but if you're kitting out a smaller kid then this full body harness and dual-rated helmet from Petzl make a comfy and well-fitting combo

Read more
 Pinch'a'salt 21 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Ouistiti = monkey (cheeky), marmoset to be precise, and is also what the French say when having their photo taken (as opposed to ‘cheese’)...

In reply to UKC Gear:

A dyneema sling directly round the 'via ferrata' chain' is not the cleverest idea.

BrendanO 22 Aug 2018
In reply to UKC Gear:

Cheers for this - looks like a MASSIVE update on the old Oustiti (which had no padding, annoying elastic bit at back of neck!). 

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

I thought someone would mention that. You can't actually climb that particular route as a classic via ferrata - the chain's really just there to lug on. That pic is actually at the end of a long a traverse, where the chain is effectively horizontal. As such you can definitely clip in on a sling as you're always below it and never going to shock load. An adult would not bother, but for a 7-year-old when I had to step away from her to take photos, it's a good idea 

Post edited at 10:01
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

Good to know. I should've asked my wife, who can actually speak French

Post edited at 10:01
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

That chain is not horizontal. If the child slipped the sling would travel down the chain behind them and be shock loaded. A dyneema sling has zero shock absorbtion. 

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Thanks for your concern, but I think you're reading too much into the photo.

These are  judgement calls we all make, so unless you know the precise bit of chain we're talking about then you might just have to take my word for it. In this particular location a bit of static sling - even dyneema - is fine as a backup to the adult physically spotting/guiding the child. 

But it's a very particular bit of one pretty unusual route, so for the avoidance of doubt: don't use static slings on via ferrata kids. Perhaps it's actually a bit of an unhelpful photo 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...