UKC

Pembrokeshire climbing with kids/bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 21 Aug 2018

We're visiting a pals holiday cottage and will have a day spare to climb in Pembroke or on the way home to notts. 

Any recommendations for easy top rope places or boulders? It's just me and a 10 yr old so bouldering means we can both climb but landings need to be half decent for kiddo. All we can do roped is a top  just for her and she's not fond of hanging around whilst I set up so half decent belays help. 

Ogmore looks best at present, we have Boulder Britain - anyone know which other guides good for bouldering round that neck of the woods?

Cheers all!!

TheGeneralist 21 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

What s the little triangular slab near st David's with a classic e1 up the arete.... and a few difs?

There's some lovely easy slab bouldering at the top of that.

Watch out for the Rockwall area though.

John R 21 Aug 2018
In reply to TheGeneralist:Porth Clais?

Tony Jones 21 Aug 2018
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Porth Clais by the sounds of it.

Another near St Davids that might fit the bill could be Sun Slab at Pen-y-Cyfrwy; non-tidal, accessible by a careful scramble, and with short mostly easy routes.

DerwentDiluted 22 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

I took the boy on the No match for crag id:869 when he was 10. A great intro to sea cliffs at kid friendly grades. You can lower her down then top rope her up.

Post edited at 08:23
 Offwidth 22 Aug 2018

I couldn't find much of what I would regard as good quality easy slab bouldering for kids at the top of Port Clais. I was pottering about on it last weekend. There is really good scrambling up and down the various levels (east of the main climbing), via weaknesess, but the short slabby walls in-between that are above good landings are a little compact and the few better posibilities are very polished and often reachy. The climbing on the main slabs there is either a bit hard or awkward to set up t-r lowers from the top for kids. As a lower grade adult trad venue its ace.

Post edited at 08:53
 GrahamD 22 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

I reckon the upper tier at Newton is pretty good.  Can't remember which book its in but you really don't need one.  Its an easy angled juggy 10m wall with a flat platform base. 

afrosam 22 Aug 2018
 Stu McInnes 22 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

The crags mentioned above, Porth Clais, Newton Head Upper tier and Fisherman’s are all good bets for youngsters, there’s some bouldering that’s worth checking out inland, I wrote a small blog about it a few years ago...  Mostly in the Climbers Club North Pembrokeshire guide...

http://www.climbingcompany.co.uk/classy-bouldering-in-pembrokeshire/

Offwidth 22 Aug 2018
In reply to Stu McInnes:

Those Porth Clais slabs pictured in your blog were the ones I had a look at over the weekend. As I said there were plenty of good scrambles, lots of short harder possibilities for kids but not very much good  'easy' bouldering for kids that I could see: which I regard as good looking lines with technical rock climbing moves to UK 4c standard with holds that are not reachy and above a good (paddable if necessary ) landing. The sort of problems you get on the indoor kids circuits and better set easier  indoor adult circuits.  I've always tried to keep an eye out for such easier bouldering venues. Burbage South, as a classic comparative example that I know well, has hundreds of good 'easy' kids problems (albeit mostly unlisted outside our Offwidth site).

TheGeneralist 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Vive la difference. 

It was about 6 years ago so my memory is vague. 

Hmm, I recall garbage south as being seriously limited for easy bouldering, go figure.

Ha ha, what a simply awesome autocorrect. I'll leave that one as it is.

whenry 23 Aug 2018
In reply to flopsicle:

Ogmore might be fine for bouldering, but it's not really suitable for top-roping - the belays are often pretty poor. Box Bay might be better. There's some bouldering on Broad Haven (South) and Barafundle beaches that might be fine for children.

Offwidth 24 Aug 2018

A lot of  classics at Burbage South are trashed (a shameful indictment of boulderers enviromental behaviour) but the good kids stuff, being mainly unlisted and with no need for brushing, is often pristine.

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/burbages_boulders.html  (Flash player required)

Post edited at 08:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...