UKC

Firefighter 2% pay offer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cowley 21 Aug 2018

So after 10 years of pay freezes mixed with 1% payrise caps, increases in pension and NI and tax contributions as well as rejecting a 2% payrise last year we are at the stage of deciding branch by branch a vote on whether to accept or decline the latest offer. Baring in mind this payrise isn't coming from central government but through increase in council tax are we best to accept then push for a rise from central government with regard to all the none contractual work we do (MTFA Error example) and don't get paid for or do we reject again. Just wondering what other fire fighters thoughts are country wide about the matter. I have already voted but was wondering the general feeling out there.

Any Scottish or Welsh FRS able to shed light on the ground made with your deals and what you are now obligated to attend

Sitting ready to watch this spiral out of control now

GregHood 21 Aug 2018
In reply to David Cowley:

Can't see us getting any more on top of the 2%. First I've heard of us voting for it branch by branch. Will have to speak to my rep tomorrow. 

Post edited at 22:28
OP David Cowley 22 Aug 2018
In reply to GregHood:

When I say branch by branch vote we've been asked by the brigade rep that every branch rep was to ask the watches and get a majority yes or no. The watches in turn would discuss and come back with an answer then this was all taken back to the brigade rep and put forward to the union with the brigades overall decision. I understood it that every brigade would do the the same and the union would go with the majority decision

jamscoz 22 Aug 2018

Last I heard, we (Scotland) were being offered 6% for the 'transformation' but the union was disagreeing or knocking it back to try to get you guys a better offer.  Or split the union...

Pinch(es) of salt required though as that info came from an officer not a rep. Being retained, the only time I see the union is in my wage slip...

Post edited at 08:49
pasbury 22 Aug 2018

I see you are getting dislikes! I'd be interested to know why anyone would do that.

deepsoup 22 Aug 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Perhaps they are expressing their disapproval of that 2% pay offer.

J1234 22 Aug 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Listen* to this, all the way through https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2016/02/24/467984297/episode-424-how-muc...

It is in the USA, however it gives an insight in to how people think.

* Look for white play arrow in blue circle top left.

Dave the Rave 22 Aug 2018

It’s a derisory offer. Good luck with getting more.

pasbury 22 Aug 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

> Perhaps they are expressing their disapproval of that 2% pay offer.

What, they reckon it's too much or something?

deepsoup 22 Aug 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Well, I thought it more likely that they think it's derisory but who knows?

The OP clearly dislikes the 2% offer (and rightly so imo), perhaps some of those who 'disliked' his post did so because they agree.

nufkin 22 Aug 2018
In reply to deepsoup:

>  perhaps some of those who 'disliked' his post did so because they agree.

Possibly it might also be argued that discussing pay rises (without wanting to judge whether or not firefighters specifically deserve the proposed amount or not) in a general forum where there's good odds that lots of those reading won't be getting anything could be regarded as a little crass

pasbury 22 Aug 2018
In reply to nufkin:

Yes look at him bragging about his swanky two percent after a ten year freeze.

Offwidth 22 Aug 2018
In reply to nufkin:

Predicted to be almost a percentage point below average 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/apr/17/uk-pay-growth-inflation-re...

Plus of course minimum wages will go up slightly more

http://www.minimum-wage.co.uk

2% is on the poor side even for a current public sector settlement.

OP David Cowley 22 Aug 2018
In reply to nufkin:

I was mainly trying to get a feel what other firefighters feelings were to it and what offers the Welsh and Scottish FRS had not rub in the private sectors nose about my tenth year in a row receiving a payrise under inflation. I'm more than understanding if people wanted to vent their displeasure at my post or I wouldn't have posted it on a public forum but hoping people didn't think i was being crass 

nufkin 23 Aug 2018

For the record, none of those dislikes were from me. £550 isn't much extra 

(I'm afraid I'm not actually sure what a full-time firefighter earns after probation - I was just assuming it's around £27,000)

deepsoup 23 Aug 2018

>  but hoping people didn't think i was being crass 

Well I certainly didn't.  I appreciate the work you do even if our government do not.

Good luck to you, whichever way this goes.

dan bulman 23 Aug 2018
In reply to nufkin:

Yeah, Think it was just over 28k last year.

mhawk 23 Aug 2018
In reply to David Cowley: I’m very much of the opinion that we should reject this offer. A 2% pay increase is in effect just a reduced pay cut as it still falls below inflation. I believe that most public services, after the long pay freeze should be looking for close to double digits. Such a rise would still see us worse off than 10 yeas ago.

Pay and conditions have been cut in many other ways over this period too, so I would not be prepared to discuss additional responsibilities until a substantial pay increase has been received. Any additional responsibilities should come with another improvement in pay to recognise this. 

I am prepared to take any necessary action to aid reaching such an agreement.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...